can i instal mint on a usb stick

Associate
Hi as above i have created a bootable usb with mint on it and wondered if i could install it on another usb stick and if so anything to look out for when doing it ?
Thanks

Soldato
If it's a boggo USB stick (i.e. not enterprise grade flash cells) then I'd personally choose a fast, non-journalling filesystem like btrfs to minimise writes. You'll also do well to configure systemd to keep its journal files in RAM instead of writing them all constantly to the disk. See here for more info. You can also set up a tmpfs in RAM for logs and temp files (i.e. mount /tmp and /var to RAMdisk instead of the USB).

Soldato
If it's a boggo USB stick (i.e. not enterprise grade flash cells) then I'd personally choose a fast, non-journalling filesystem like btrfs to minimise writes. You'll also do well to configure systemd to keep its journal files in RAM instead of writing them all constantly to the disk. See here for more info. You can also set up a tmpfs in RAM for logs and temp files (i.e. mount /tmp and /var to RAMdisk instead of the USB).

This level of information is why I love reading these forums. Learn something new most times I open up my browser.

Associate
OP
Thanks my son dropped off a 2.5” Sata drive so installed it on that, so it will let me try it for a while

Back
Top Bottom