Can I install Vista again in this situation?

Associate
I have a Vista 32 bit home edition CD which was installed on my HDD in my old build PC.

Last month I made a completely new build and used an SSD as the operating system drive for Windows 7 64 bit. My old HDD with Vista got relegated to a second drive where I keep all my mods, files and downloads.

I did not uninstall Vista before I used it as a second drive because I had over 200GB of stuff I did not want to lose.

I am now planning on getting a new laptop without an operating system and it would be ideal if I could install my vista into the new laptop to save me having to spend money on a new one.

Can I do that or will the old install still count as activated and windows deny me the install?

Soldato
Is your Vista licence OEM or Retail?

OEM is tied to the system (defined in the EULA as the motherboard) it was originally installed on. Every other piece of hardware can be changed apart from the motherboard.

Retail allows your to transfer the licence from one system to another. You can change the motherboard. A retail licence can only be on one system at a time.

Associate
OP
Is your Vista licence OEM or Retail?

OEM is tied to the system (defined in the EULA as the motherboard) it was originally installed on. Every other piece of hardware can be changed apart from the motherboard.

Retail allows your to transfer the licence from one system to another. You can change the motherboard. A retail licence can only be on one system at a time.

It is a retail version.

Associate
OP
Does my old vista install count as inactive now that it is no longer in use?

I read somewhere that if you try and install a vista key already activated then it will freeze and lockup when you try and use it on the second system.

If it is fine though then that is great as that will save me some good money.

Associate
It won't freeze or lock up on you at all. You won't have any problems installing it, but when you come to activate it you may need to use the automated phone system to put it through.

Back
Top Bottom