Can I legally put a metal garage here in my back garden - grumpy neighbour....

Associate
Thank you, I was willing to pull 150mm off so it is basically around 5ft high at the fence side, so not protruding over the fences but they would not be reasonable so I see no reason to try and be helpful now and will just go with how it is, though I personally would like it marginally lower as I want the slope to match the angle of the current garage if possible so think it does need to come down another 10-20mm to get to that.

As we discussed previously if the building complies with Class E, Part 1 Schedule 2 of the The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (as amended) then your outbuilding is lawful and whether your neighbour likes it or not is irrelevant, for planning purposes. (Apologies for the bluntness I meant in terms of planning, obviously in respect to f your relationship with your neighbour it is not irrelevant.) If you want to modify the building below the limits set out in Class E, whether that be for your reasons or to placate your neighbour that is is fine as you will still comply with the legislation.

One thing I cannot remember whether we discussed this previously or not but looking at the photos you posted I can see that the new structure is attached to an existing building so you need to assess the new building as a whole, with the existing building against Class E. Again I cannot remember if that was clear last time or not or if that was what you presented to your Local Planning Authority (LPA).

I think fundamentally the issue you have is for whatever reason your neighbour has a chip on their shoulder and is likely to find any excuse to moan at you and there is not a lot you are going to be able to do about that but manage it as best you can, and you seem to be doing a reasonable and good job with managing them. My partner has a Yaris and I can't think of (except for perhaps an EV) a more docile, inobtrusive car!

Looking through the thread I can see you asked 'Is been able to get round the back a legal requirement?' Nothing in Class E requires you to be able to 'get round the back'.

Hope this helps, I don't think you really needed help as such, probably more a case of venting or sharing but as I said before happy to help.

All the best

Darren

Soldato
Definitely sounds like a jobsworth neighbour.

Frankly I wouldn't even give them the time of day anymore.

Edit: Oh remember to post round a Christmas card ;)

Caporegime
Always found it interesting how some people are unable to see the bigger picture, I'd be less inclined to be a good neighbour to them in the future, might need to start a car at 6:30am in the future and allow it to warm up for a bit.

Permabanned
Thank you, I was willing to pull 150mm off so it is basically around 5ft high at the fence side, so not protruding over the fences but they would not be reasonable so I see no reason to try and be helpful now and will just go with how it is, though I personally would like it marginally lower as I want the slope to match the angle of the current garage if possible so think it does need to come down another 10-20mm to get to that.

Is it just me... or would it be tempting to slope the roof so the rear is lower & it dumps the water on the shed he was complaining about... it's the opposite of a fire hazard hmmmmmm

Soldato
Always found it interesting how some people are unable to see the bigger picture, I'd be less inclined to be a good neighbour to them in the future, might need to start a car at 6:30am in the future and allow it to warm up for a bit.

Very narrow thinking as you risk alienating yourself with all the other neighbours who become annoyed by it just so that you can annoy one neighbour.

Soldato
Very narrow thinking as you risk alienating yourself with all the other neighbours who become annoyed by it just so that you can annoy one neighbour.

Yep, car noise becomes tiresome very quickly and you will just end up alienating everyone. Best course of action is to just ignore this neighbour since engaging with them doesn't work.

Don
Unfortunately Gibbo, you can't reason with these sorts of people. They will only be happy when your lifestyle choices mirror theirs.
You would need to sell all of your cars and stay home watching TV every night and even then, they would never forgive you for having the audacity to be different to them in the past.

Soldato
Just build it and sod the neighbour. Are you building it out of timber?

Looks like the pitch is quite low, did you not fancy changing the roof all over? Is the plan to clad it all so it "blends in"?

Keep the pics (and neighbour updates) coming :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So to make sure everything is in line.

Planning permission - Council has now said twice in writing no permission required it is within Class E rules.

So as my other neighbour is the builder and also knows a building planning officer he as put me in touch with said person who has reviewed all my photos.

He has basically said the following:

As it is connected to the current garage it is larger than 30m2 and as such would come under requiring building approval if someone so wished to seek that, he then went on to say I have two options:
Option 1: Make it as a car port with two sides open, it then required no building planning or regulation or fire safety. So could go ahead without any fear of future issues.
Option 2: Build the garage, but the two sides on the border MUST BE 60 minute fire resistance, now the composite wall panels I have look like they are, but they just carry a B S2 D0 rating which he says does not confirm they are 60 minute resistance which they must be along with the frame, otherwise should it be inspected in the future it could be requested these alterations were made. He then went on to say however all is not lost because you can buy special paints which I can paint the composite panels and frame in which will give the 60 minute fire class and if I do this he would approve the building if it was him inspecting, he has said this certificate is £500 and I don't need to bother as he has given his advice free of charge and if a grumpy neighbour insist then they can pay the fee and obtain permission to come on the land for inspection to just be then told it complies with building regulations.

Though the neighbour is only concerned over planning permission constantly stating it cannot be more than 1.5m tall if within 5ft of the boundary, no idea where he seems to think these rules/numbers come from and why he himself has two sheds which one is actually on the boundary, maybe even over and both taller than 1.5m and both made out of flammable timber. Do I care, absolutely not as I am not petty even though they are far more in view from my house than my garage will be from his house. Screams bully to me and having tried to be reasonable if he starts again I will just tell him to do one, Mr nice guy no more, if he came over to me and said "Andrew do you think you could possibly make it an inch or two lower I would oblige and be like yeah OK that is fair, but when he comes over saying do you know the planning permission rules and then spouts the above and then storms of saying I am calling the council, is just not reasonable conduct, especially considering I then went round to discuss to just be told he is on phone to council and me politely informing his wife well the council won't find an issue so I am here, right now offering to listen to what your issue is and if I can adjust and try to help I will, for her then to just complain how a Yaris supposedly stops her hearing her TV, though I park it three houses down from their house due to the nature of our drive. Just screaming jealousy and bully tactics as according to the council he has not rung them and made any complaints.

So it looks like I will go with option 2, ensure everything is painted with the correct 60 minute fire resistance paint and continue with the build.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi there

So to make sure everything is in line.

Planning permission - Council has now said twice in writing no permission required it is within Class E rules.

So as my other neighbour is the builder and also knows a building planning officer he as put me in touch with said person who has reviewed all my photos.

He has basically said the following:

As it is connected to the current garage it is larger than 30m2 and as such would come under requiring building approval if someone so wished to seek that, he then went on to say I have two options:
Option 1: Make it as a car port with two sides open, it then required no building planning or regulation or fire safety. So could go ahead without any fear of future issues.
Option 2: Build the garage, but the two sides on the border MUST BE 60 minute fire resistance, now the composite wall panels I have look like they are, but they just carry a B S2 D0 rating which he says does not confirm they are 60 minute resistance which they must be along with the frame, otherwise should it be inspected in the future it could be requested these alterations were made. He then went on to say however all is not lost because you can buy special paints which I can paint the composite panels and frame in which will give the 60 minute fire class and if I do this he would approve the building if it was him inspecting, he has said this certificate is £500 and I don't need to bother as he has given his advice free of charge and if a grumpy neighbour insist then they can pay the fee and obtain permission to come on the land for inspection to just be then told it complies with building regulations.

Though the neighbour is only concerned over planning permission constantly stating it cannot be more than 1.5m tall if within 5ft of the boundary, no idea where he seems to think these rules/numbers come from and why he himself has two sheds which one is actually on the boundary, maybe even over and both taller than 1.5m and both made out of flammable timber. Do I care, absolutely not as I am not petty even though they are far more in view from my house than my garage will be from his house. Screams bully to me and having tried to be reasonable if he starts again I will just tell him to do one, Mr nice guy no more, if he came over to me and said "Andrew do you think you could possibly make it an inch or two lower I would oblige and be like yeah OK that is fair, but when he comes over saying do you know the planning permission rules and then spouts the above and then storms of saying I am calling the council, is just not reasonable conduct, especially considering I then went round to discuss to just be told he is on phone to council and me politely informing his wife well the council won't find an issue so I am here, right now offering to listen to what your issue is and if I can adjust and try to help I will, for her then to just complain how a Yaris supposedly stops her hearing her TV, though I park it three houses down from their house due to the nature of our drive. Just screaming jealousy and bully tactics as according to the council he has not rung them and made any complaints.

So it looks like I will go with option 2, ensure everything is painted with the correct 60 minute fire resistance paint and continue with the build.

just make sure it colour co-ordinates with all the cars, especially the Ferrari :)

Soldato
Well done for being calm and looking at it from his perspective. The whole Englishman's house is his castle thing can turn nice people into ogres.

He got 54 years out of that shed, sounds like he's one of those old people that view change as a threat and resist it.

This is a big factor, some point to jealously but I think its a case of some people don't like change, for example its quite understandable for people that have lived in a house for many many years and then someone moves in and starts altering things, people just get grumpy, its quite normal really. This is just an example and im not saying Gibbo has only just moved in to his property, but some just don't like change even if it doesn't effect them one bit.

Its a bit like a neighbour of ours who put up a new extension, it really stressed my dad out and he got quite annoyed and grumpy over it, mainly because they were making a complete mess of it though and causing mess on our side.

OcUK Staff
OP
This is a big factor, some point to jealously but I think its a case of some people don't like change, for example its quite understandable for people that have lived in a house for many many years and then someone moves in and starts altering things, people just get grumpy, its quite normal really. This is just an example and im not saying Gibbo has only just moved in to his property, but some just don't like change even if it doesn't effect them one bit.

Its a bit like a neighbour of ours who put up a new extension, it really stressed my dad out and he got quite annoyed and grumpy over it, mainly because they were making a complete mess of it though and causing mess on our side.

Been in the house just over a year, of course been updating it but mostly interior work and no one really notices that. Did do some major garden work, removal of big bushes/trees which one of the other neighbours was really pleased by as one said bush had got so big it was nearly pushing his fence over, so he was happy as previous owner did not care about said bush or the impact on his fence.

This other neighbour it all started when he heard me discussing with my brother the idea of a car port / garage, he piped up trying to claim we can't put something there and how upset he was about the shed which was their (I pulled it down) due to over hanging onto his land and pouring water on his shed, yet I removed this shed and assured him whatever I build would have correct guttering to drain water into our garden drainage system and not his, he then seemed somewhat happy, now here we are again and he is complaining he don't like it, not stating what he dislikes about it just that he is calling the council and mentioned water damage again and sueing me, well the latter won't be issue.

Unfortunately I am now passed trying to call around and speak to them, will just build it, make sure it meets building regulations (it meets planning regulations) and once it is build it will completely block them out. I suspect as you say they don't like change, I also suspect they dislike the neighbour who is behind us and next to them as they also have like 5 cars and a caravan parked on their land which even maybe has someone living it so that probably really upsets them too and now they have me to the rear of their garden with a lot of cars and building another single garage next to my double garage. I would honestly burden myself and have to duct to the enter the garage if they would be nice about things and say can you just lower it, but even at current height they have trees and hedges higher so I think its less an issue and more a case of trying to cause trouble, even the builders said nothing will make those kind of people happy, unless you simply don't build it but it is your land and as long as you comply with regulations you can build what you like within guidelines as its not a heritage site or any of that blah blah.

Soldato
You're in the right, get it built.

If they complain and make your life at home a hassle, start raising queries on their sheds.

Back
Top Bottom