Can I legally put a metal garage here in my back garden - grumpy neighbour....

OcUK Staff
OP
What fish are you going to keep in the Jewel @Gibbo

I think marine would look awesome it that colour scheme you have there

This is my third tank and my planned stocking for our water so far is:
2x Electric blue Acara
10x Congo Tetra
1-2x Bristlenose Pleco probably a super red and albino
1-2x Siamese Algae eater

Not decided on others yet might add a couple of larger gourami just have to be careful as our water is soft to medium with a PH7.2 so I try to get fish that will thrive in our water.

Soldato
Just don’t want a huge 6+ car building in the back garden and the current double garage is more than big enough for my needs of working on a car mechanically or polishing and cleaning it. The only thing I’d like really would be say a proper car lift but the height prevents that and then I no doubt would need planning permission. Also the house is worth around 350k if I go spending 50k on a custom garage build the house won’t then be worth 400k as I’ve spent around 6k putting a workshop on back of double, white panelling it and then adding the third lean to garage.

In around 5 years I will probably move and sell this house as probably be worth 400k then and as I’m mortgage free I’ll then put 500-600k towards a new house or buying a plot of land and building a house along with a dream garage, is the future plan for now and then sell that if I make decision in the future to move away from the U.K.

As it is now it meets my needs and I am happy.

Yes as mentioned earlier in the thread the neighbour said he would be happier if the water naturally ran away from his property and he drew up some plans as he is an ex joiner and my builder looked at and he has built a valley, there should be no water ingress and it drains spot on.

Once the front is done that sloping back will no longer be seen and as such will look neater, but by no means is it going to win any beauty competitions. Was just get creating a dry insulated area to store another car on my own property. :)

Sorry was more why didn't you make it look like the current garage, can understand the need to not spend loads on it jf you're planning to move, but can't imagine it being loads more. Hopefully it'll look better when finished as I know in its current state it'd probably put me off as I'll be thinking where else has he skimped to save money.

OcUK Staff
OP
Sorry was more why didn't you make it look like the current garage, can understand the need to not spend loads on it jf you're planning to move, but can't imagine it being loads more. Hopefully it'll look better when finished as I know in its current state it'd probably put me off as I'll be thinking where else has he skimped to save money.

Builder I think has done a great job at getting a similar look:

garage_complete.jpg

garage_done.jpg

I am very happy with it, just realised I took the photo on the slant oops, gale force winds and lots of rainfall over night and dry inside and still standing, so all good and I am over the moon with it. :)

Soldato
Nice, the more the merrier as far as garages are concerned. Huge amount of space you have there, helps and hinders your car obsession I guess :p. I can't believe you said a few posts back the place is about 350k? Is that accurate? I would have assumed 600-700k even 'oop north' for that much space. Sometimes I wish I could just make all my friends and family move out of the South West, stifling.

OcUK Staff
OP
Nice, the more the merrier as far as garages are concerned. Huge amount of space you have there, helps and hinders your car obsession I guess :p. I can't believe you said a few posts back the place is about 350k? Is that accurate? I would have assumed 600-700k even 'oop north' for that much space. Sometimes I wish I could just make all my friends and family move out of the South West, stifling.

It is the advantage of the area, the problem is it is a very small village, all we have here is a pub (some would argue that is all you need :D ) and a couple of farms and a garden centre, oh and a tractor/digger scrap yard lol. Then were smack bang on the Staffordshire/Cheshire border, it is all old farmland and green belt, the area does however seem to be moving north in value as a house at the top of the road sold for £540,000 last month, but that was a very large house, 5 bedroom, double external garage, similar size amount of land to my property though. For me that is what I love about our house, the driveway can take 10-13 cars, plus three cards in the garage, but I do only have one driveway so not quite elite tier enough for motors. Plus were detached with three bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, with a large open plan living/dining/kitchen area.

The house was valued around 290k when I moved in just over a year ago, the value is now pegging around 330k and the local estate agents advice customers add 10-20% on top of valuations simply due to demand in the area.

I've got a couple more jobs to do, new front door / frame, tidy up the UPC windows, eaves and guttering and then I feel it is pretty much finished to a standard I am happy with and will enjoy it for 5 years or so and in my mind by that point I will probably have a 400k property with no mortgage and around 400-500k in cars so if I want to sell and buy or re-locate elsewhere be plenty of cash in bank to do so and getting a 100-200k mortgage be easy as well if required but I've seen some nice properties in the area which have 1-3 acre of land and are totally isolated, very rural, big drives, as big or larger garage and typically a very large house, it is the very large house aspect we don't need, but still they are 600-800k, a similar property down south would be 1.5-2M no doubt.

My mate from Corvette club is buying this:
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/116761313#/?channel=RES_BUY

Gives you an idea of what you can get, which is just up the road form us just past the national trust, it is why we like living here were surrounded by great walks to go on.

Soldato
Yeah I have a similar issue in that any house with decent outside/car space is also a 4/5 bed monster I really don't need. Having said that it's not really a problem beyond my imagination, 2.5 bed terrace with no garage or driveway on my road is £450-500k now. Oh well I'll stick to cars I guess!

OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah I have a similar issue in that any house with decent outside/car space is also a 4/5 bed monster I really don't need. Having said that it's not really a problem beyond my imagination, 2.5 bed terrace with no garage or driveway on my road is £450-500k now. Oh well I'll stick to cars I guess!

Yes just like the used car market, house prices are also in a big bubble presently too.

OcUK Staff
OP
Looks good, I like the finished colour and door. Are the hinges on the left secure? I guess they use coach bolts so they can't be removed from outside?

Yes secure but the garage is just left unlocked at present, will eventually put a padlock on the bolt but this garage is literally to keep a car dry and on charge, there will be no expensive tools present.

OcUK Staff
OP

Grabbed a couple of pictures from the front:

oakhouse1.jpg

The house is called "Oak Lodge" but there was no oak really anywhere, so I had the plastic pulled from around the structural supports and boarded with real oak, also had a real Oak Lodge sign made up. So it is starting to look how I want it, next is an Irish Oak composite front door from Solidor and new glass side panel, then the plan is to either spray all the UPVC anthracite, in short there will be no white on the outside of the house except for the alarm and cameras dotted around. Then a new oak front gate to finish it off.

Getting there just takes such a long time to get stuff done as I only use one builder who is always very busy, but his quality of work is fantastic as he done the garage, all the oak, he even did our wet room after we got let down by cowboys.

wet1.jpg

And our home office is now all:

officehome.jpg

tank1cycling.jpg

The home office is now a joy to work from, surrounded by fish tanks, nano leaf lighting and a large window to see walkers and horse riders go by, or the crazy farmers in their tractors. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Lovely pad there Gibbo, great collection of cars too.

Was at Brands in the 996 yesterday and the same Yaris was there again, I do like them :)

Soldato
Looks fantastic.

I always think it's such a balancing act when it comes to size of house and land...usually a big house comes with the land but then when there are only 2 or even a family of 4 you end up just rattling around the house...plus there is the upkeep.

I really like how the garages are at the back and out of sight, great for security.

OcUK Staff
OP
Looks fantastic.

I always think it's such a balancing act when it comes to size of house and land...usually a big house comes with the land but then when there are only 2 or even a family of 4 you end up just rattling around the house...plus there is the upkeep.

I really like how the garages are at the back and out of sight, great for security.

Yep how I like it, I always close the gates at night and when I get newer gates fitted they will be about a foot taller and solid oak and I will probably put a simple bolt on the inside for night security and when away. Plus there is then motion sensor lights all the way up the drive and several cameras and house alarm, cannot do much else to act as a deterrent really. We also have no passing traffic as were off the beaten track as to say so just locals passing really.

A quick photoshop of the desired final look I am aiming for:

Oak lodge_final.jpg

Excuse the tinted windows, photoshop noob here, we won't be tinting the windows lol and the grey will be anthracite so darker, this was just a quick mock up so I know what I am going for 100%

OcUK Staff
OP
I like your wet room, our en suite is a similar size and that's the sort of thing I'm after.

Yep goal was a posh hotel style wet room with heated flooring and a giant rainfall shower with varying different modes, easily the best money I spent. Plus having the hot tub which I use a lot it is very handy having the wet room and water proof flooring.

Back
Top Bottom