Can I legally put a metal garage here in my back garden - grumpy neighbour....

Soldato
If it's anything like my neighbour, you'll have all the work done, then one day you'll come home to them taking it all down...
I see cameras in the first post. It might be worthwhile adding a couple more cameras just in case they try to damage or even destroy it. The added CCTV will also give them something else to whine about. :D

Soldato
Is it alright if I hop in here, as it seems to have a few well versed folk (or now well versed!).

Hopefully buying a property soon, and interested in extending the garage, making it longer to the front. The front of the extension wouldn't extend beyond the front of the house itself (it's an attached garage on the side of a bungalow). Only thinking another 1.5m or so. Would that come under permitted development? How about if I just did it out of a wood frame (so arguably temporary structure too)?

OcUK Staff
OP
Garage is nearly complete now just needs some internal lighting, front door and front styling so it looks better which should be done next week.

D090ACA6-8423-411D-8C6D-C325BE4E7600.jpeg

Also finished our office and games room too, just had new carpet and next week having a Juwel RIO 450 delivered.

FFBB5208-5A2F-4C08-AE9D-AED7971A5F38.jpeg

Associate
Garage is nearly complete now just needs some internal lighting, front door and front styling so it looks better which should be done next week.

D090ACA6-8423-411D-8C6D-C325BE4E7600.jpeg

Also finished our office and games room too, just had new carpet and next week having a Juwel RIO 450 delivered.

FFBB5208-5A2F-4C08-AE9D-AED7971A5F38.jpeg

Glad you have got to where you want to be, even if it has been a bit of a rollercoaster. I feel like I should have asked you for a spin in the Ferrari!

Soldato
I can but I don’t want too.

Why not. The current garage is really nice inside and out, whereas currently what you have in that picture appears to look a mix of something you'd find in a favela in Rio and what people did with old air raid shelter metal after the war over here.

Associate
@Gibbo Is there any reason why you have the slope on the new garage roof dropping back towards the original garage? Is that not going to cause a potential issue with water ingress? Surely if would have been better, and more aesthetically pleasing, having it drop off towards the fence or from front to back?

OcUK Staff
OP
Why not. The current garage is really nice inside and out, whereas currently what you have in that picture appears to look a mix of something you'd find in a favela in Rio and what people did with old air raid shelter metal after the war over here.

Just don’t want a huge 6+ car building in the back garden and the current double garage is more than big enough for my needs of working on a car mechanically or polishing and cleaning it. The only thing I’d like really would be say a proper car lift but the height prevents that and then I no doubt would need planning permission. Also the house is worth around 350k if I go spending 50k on a custom garage build the house won’t then be worth 400k as I’ve spent around 6k putting a workshop on back of double, white panelling it and then adding the third lean to garage.

In around 5 years I will probably move and sell this house as probably be worth 400k then and as I’m mortgage free I’ll then put 500-600k towards a new house or buying a plot of land and building a house along with a dream garage, is the future plan for now and then sell that if I make decision in the future to move away from the U.K.

As it is now it meets my needs and I am happy.

@Gibbo Is there any reason why you have the slope on the new garage roof dropping back towards the original garage? Is that not going to cause a potential issue with water ingress? Surely if would have been better, and more aesthetically pleasing, having it drop off towards the fence or from front to back?

Yes as mentioned earlier in the thread the neighbour said he would be happier if the water naturally ran away from his property and he drew up some plans as he is an ex joiner and my builder looked at and he has built a valley, there should be no water ingress and it drains spot on.

Once the front is done that sloping back will no longer be seen and as such will look neater, but by no means is it going to win any beauty competitions. Was just get creating a dry insulated area to store another car on my own property. :)

Back
Top Bottom