Can I run 2 separate connections through Ethernet powerline adapters?

Associate
As title, my home net is naff, but I get an ok 4g signal. So I've got a 4g router along with a bt one. 4g's fine, but the connection does drop now and again when gaming, which is annoying. So, I've tried bonding the connection on the pc, that's fine, but I game on the Xbox, so I need to do 2 Ethernets into the pc and hotspot it out. Access is the main problem,I can't get either Ethernet cables directly, so I was thinking about 2 pairs of powerline adapters and connecting that way, I assume that won't work?

If you have any better suggestions then please say

Associate
OP
Ah sorry, I'll say it a bit simpler. So(just so we're on the same wavelength) the powerline adapters plug into two sockets, one next to your router(connected by Ethernet) and another in the room you want the internet access(Ethernet access in my case) and will send your internet through the electricity. I've got 2 routers, so two separate connections (4g and land line). I wasn't sure if I could send 2 different connections through 2 different powerline adapters or if they would cause interference.

Soldato
My answer still stands.

Powerline adapters use encryption keys to talk to each other.

Out of the box they'll use default encryption keys. You can (and should) set your own encryption keys using the buttons on the adapters or the utility software if available (this is often referred to as pairing).

By setting different encryption keys you can create two pairs of adapters that'll only talk between themselves.

They will however to sharing the same bandwidth.

Simple enough?

Caporegime
It's just a layer 2 bridge as far as I know, so there's no reason why you couldn't have devices from two different subnets communicating between a single pair of powerline devices. For obvious reasons you'd need to use static addressing on at least one of the subnets.

Soldato
There's loads of ways to do this, most of which are a bit bodgy.

The way I'd do it is probably setup the two routers so they're both using the same IP range (e.g. 168.192.1.x) but have different addresses, disable the DHCP server on the router you'll use the least. And then manually change the default gateway on the clients that I want to use the other router.

Back
Top Bottom