Can I sell an iPad Air 2, that I bought on Ebay that was iCloud locked by a previous user?

Soldato
I bought an iCloud locked iPad Air 2, about 2 years ago on Ebay (the seller did not mention it was locked). It worked fine for about a year and a half, until I updated to iOS 14, then reset the device to factory settings. At this point, it came up with an activation error about not being about to contact the Apple server. I left the device for about 6 months, as I could not find a solution to this problem.

I recently turned it on after charging the device again, and it wouldn't boot at all. So, I reset the device to factory settings again (had to use iTunes), and it updated to the latest iOS version (14.6). This allowed the device to boot again, but now I received a different error about the device being locked by another Apple account, preventing me from using the device.

So, I finally found out what the real problem with the device was, but I can't do much about it. I found a service on Ebay that can replace the serial number / NAND flash, which apparently permanently removes the iCloud lock on the device, but I don't know if its worth it.

Can this device be sold anywhere, and is it even of use to anyone else?

P.S. As a result of the iCloud lock and activation errors, I've been put off Apple devices pretty much for life...

Last edited:
Associate
P.S. As a result of the iCloud lock and activation errors, I've been put off Apple devices pretty much for life...
Are you sure it's not just asking for your Apple ID and password? The only way it would lock under their ID is if you hadn't signed out in the entire time you had owned it. In that case, you only have yourself to blame.

Soldato
OP
Nope, I signed in with my own Apple ID, so that I could download apps from the store.

It asks for this email address: n•••••@gmail.com (chars blanked out), which isn't one I recognise.

Basically, I think I either got scammed by the seller, or (maybe) they didn't even bother to reset the firmware to factory defaults and test the device, before sending it to me (this is what Apple says sellers should do beforehand). They also sent me the wrong model (16GB rather than 32GB), but I was given a small discount.

Unfortunately, they seem to have done the same thing to other buyers on Ebay since I purchased the item, based on the feedback some have left the seller.

Security features like this cause more problems than they are worth in my opinion, that is why there are so many services on Ebay / other less reputable websites that either circumvent the security features though software workarounds, or permanent hardware repair services.

EDIT - Someone here has had their device locked by what appears to be the same apple user / account:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251880494

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Also, it was apple's decision to implement this locking 'feature', I see no reason to defend them for it. It destroys the idea of a 'right to repair' and leads apple to assume devices have been acquired through theft (rather than legitimately), rather than them actually helping customers with technical problems.

Soldato
You didn't "brought" a laptop, you bought one.

God I hate it when people don't use these two terms correctly.

If you brought in your laptop from the outside, that is the right meaning for that.

Soldato
OP
erm, ok, just a typo.

I take it that the general consensus is that the device is basically junk?

What about selling the device as broken / for parts? As I understand it, if the logic board of an iPad is replaced (which has a unique serial number + hardware IDs), this will remove the iCloud lock on the device.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Isn't there anyone here who has been in a similar situation (device that became iCloud locked after factory reset)? If so, did you just keep your device and stop using it?

Soldato
If its icloud locked its a brick unless you have an original invoice in which case apple may unlock it for you. If you ever buy one make sure its been removed from account and reset.

When you buy it put your account details in and let it activate BEFORE you part with any cash.

Soldato
OP
Indeed, but in my case, the iCloud lock only appeared after I did a factory reset on the device (after about 18 months), when it installed iOS 14. Weirdly at first, it showed a server communication error, but later patches to iOS 14 resulted in an iCloud message instead.

I've found a way around the iCloud lock now, that even works after device reboots, so at least I can use the device still (even though it can't be sold).

The Ebay seller also didn't mention there was a problem with the gyroscope, which causes rotation issues (I have to lock the device's rotation in iOS). This was probably why the previous device owner wanted to sell the device.

Not much chance of me buying a used or new apple device again, I just don't think it's worth the trouble. Especially given Apple's attitude towards 'right to repair'.

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Did you contact the seller as soon as this "lock" appeared?
It sounds almost like an IMEI type block

Was it a private seller or a business? If business I'd be going back to them.
Name and shame to prevent others being scammed by them

If the same thing has happened to other buyers and the email address that's locking them is the same it could be some kind of insurance scam?
Hve you spoken to apple about this?

Soldato
OP
Did you contact the seller as soon as this "lock" appeared?
It sounds almost like an IMEI type block

Yeah, I contacted them on Ebay, but it was more than a year after I brought the device, they did not respond. They have an Ebay shop and were selling lots of used iPads. I did report them to Ebay, after about a week, but I've no idea if Ebay took any action.

I'm doubtful Apple would offer any help to someone who bought a 2nd hand device, aside from doing an expensive repair on the device. The thing is, the device only cost me about £90...

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Yeah, I contacted them on Ebay, but it was more than a year after I brought the device, they did not respond. They have an Ebay shop and were selling lots of used iPads. I did report them to Ebay, after about a week, but I've no idea if Ebay took any action.

I'm doubtful Apple would offer any help to someone buying 2nd hand, aside from doing an expensive repair on the device.

Then it's a business - If it's the same apple ID's that's cropping up for others I'd put my money on some kind of insurance fraud.
You notified them of the problem as soon as you were aware of it and as far as my understanding if it's a business then consurmer rights apply.
Makes it a little different than had you bought from a private individual

Have you spoken with apple at all?

Can't type for toffee
Don
@g67575

In all honesty mate Id be hounding them on eBay, reporting them to eBay until you get a reply.
12 months means nowt under SOGA/Consumer rights.
I'd also mention small claims and potentially actionfraud if they continue to ignore you.

You could also contact your card issuer depending how you paid, they've very likely sold you stolen goods (wether they knew it or not)

Back
Top Bottom