Can I use a USB stick as permanent storage

Soldato
I currently have a sata ssd for OS and games and a sata hdd for general storage. My new PC will have an m2 drive for OS and games and ??? for general storage. I'd like to get rid of all 2.5" sata drives in my new build to get rid of the cables and bays!

I could get another m2 drive but I'd be nervous about running out of PCI-E lanes? It would be a ryzen 3600 or 700/x probably. I'd have a GPU, m2, PCI-E x4 WiFi card plus then the second m2. So I'm thinking can I just put all my files on a USB stick and stuff it around the back of the PC out of sight out of mind?

I only have 200Gb of stuff. It doesn't need to be fast as it is not written to or read from much. it's got HD video and mp3s, photos etc

Associate
the X570 chipset comes with 40 PCIe lanes, i would go for a second .m2 for storage.

i would never trust a usb stick for storage of files

Soldato
Use an nvme M2 for your os and games then use a SATA M2 for storage. Will use a SATA channel from the chipset then instead of any pci-e lanes.

It doesn't sound like you realise that M2 is just a form factor and you can get two different types so be careful when buying.

Back
Top Bottom