Can I use the Apple Keyboard and Mouse across an iMac and PC and switch between the two?

Soldato
Ok, bit or a random one here and I apologise if Ive asked this before.

I am working from home. On my desk I have my work PC with the standard keyboard and mouse that came with an HP desktop. Also on my desk is my old iMac with the Apple keyboard and mouse. I find the Apple keyboard and mouse MUCH nicer to use. I obviously use the work PC for my working day but the iMac is on for Teams calls, Spotify and stuff to make my day pass more quickly. here is my question. Is there a piece of software or mechanism that would enable me to ditch the HP keyboard and mouse, just have the Apple one on my desk and somehow toggle between which machine it controls? Firstly can I use the apple keyboard on a windows PC? Secondly would it be possible to be happily typing on my work machine then if, for example a Teams call comes in I can hit a button and it switches to being effective on the the iMac?

Im suspecting the answer is probably no, but I know there is mechanism for doing it with an iMac and MacBook, obviously thats a bit different though. Would certainly save hassle and space if there was.

Soldato
Firstly can I use the apple keyboard on a windows PC?

Extract the keyboard/Magic Mouse drivers from the Boot Camp installer and it'll work fine. I use a wired Apple keyboard under Windows using that method and don't have many issues - correct (Apple) key mapping, media keys work, even get a MacOS volume popup. Lack of a dedicated hash-key is about the only real bugbear (Ctrl + Alt + 3 is the shortcut).

But if you're using a Magic keyboard/Mouse/TrackPad, then i'd recommend stumping up for https://magicutilities.net as you get a lot more control, especially around gestures etc.
Obviously try the Boot Camp method first and then give the Magic Util trial a whirl as it's around £11/12 per year for a license.

Is there a piece of software or mechanism that would enable me to ditch the HP keyboard and mouse, just have the Apple one on my desk and somehow toggle between which machine it controls?

Synergy (as @uvarvu posted), ShareMouse or use a dedicated KVM switcher if it's all wired/USB.

Associate
Yes I do exactly this with magicutilities installed on windows.

I use the keyboard/trackpad plugged into Windows machine and Bluetooth for MacBook.

Back
Top Bottom