• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can I utilise my two RTX 3080s?

Associate
I managed to get two RTX 3080s and it's perfect for the work I do (3D animation/rendering). I was wondering if there's any other benefits? Sadly there's no NVLINK support so I can't use them for the games.

Is there anything else I can do with them? Somehow offload them so games perform better or something? haha

Associate
If you have others wanting to use or don't have a computer i.e Kids. Instead of purchasing another you could try something like this using Aster Multiseat. I don't know if it would work in your situation though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kgmrl9/dual_rtx_3090_tuf_oc_threadripper_build/

"Essentially it lets you run 1 instance of windows. You create user accounts for everyone who needs to use the computer. Aster allows all of those accounts to log into the system at the same time. Windows then intelligently routes resources as needed as it sees them as just resource requests on from the system. When one system needs 10 cores, it just gives it 10 cores and the rest are allocated as needed. The beauty of this is if you are doing something that needs 90% of the systems resources, and everyone else is doing something that doesn’t need that much, you get 90% of the resources. If you are the only one using the system in the moment, you get 100% vs going the true VM route where you can only use whatever resources were dedicated to you. The other benefit of going this route is I have 4 users connected to one GPU."

Permabanned
Yeah, offload one to me and then your games will be improved by having a second player to give you covering fire - Far better than any AI out there! :p

Bahaha!

I managed to get two RTX 3080s and it's perfect for the work I do (3D animation/rendering). I was wondering if there's any other benefits? Sadly there's no NVLINK support so I can't use them for the games.

Is there anything else I can do with them? Somehow offload them so games perform better or something? haha

No. It's best to sell it. You could well make some money on it.

Soldato

Games that support mGPU in DX12 and Vulkan will work without a sli/NVlink. (explicit multi GPU)

Associate
Only options I can see are are a multi-user set up with either this or unRaid (edit: or a gaming vm accessed via steam link or something....)

If you have others wanting to use or don't have a computer i.e Kids. Instead of purchasing another you could try something like this using Aster Multiseat. I don't know if it would work in your situation though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kgmrl9/dual_rtx_3090_tuf_oc_threadripper_build/

"Essentially it lets you run 1 instance of windows. You create user accounts for everyone who needs to use the computer. Aster allows all of those accounts to log into the system at the same time. Windows then intelligently routes resources as needed as it sees them as just resource requests on from the system. When one system needs 10 cores, it just gives it 10 cores and the rest are allocated as needed. The beauty of this is if you are doing something that needs 90% of the systems resources, and everyone else is doing something that doesn’t need that much, you get 90% of the resources. If you are the only one using the system in the moment, you get 100% vs going the true VM route where you can only use whatever resources were dedicated to you. The other benefit of going this route is I have 4 users connected to one GPU."

OR..... Mine cryptos on the other card while gaming. Whether that is worthwhile is another matter and depends on whether you pay for the electricity (or have over abundant solar/wind power available to you)

Back
Top Bottom