Can recommend a good book on website design?

Soldato
I'm looking for a book that'll explain website construction from start to finish to someone with very little knowledge on the subject.

Any ideas?

I have no intention of getting an online shop up and running within the next couple of weeks or creating a company website as seems to be the main reason for getting interested in website design here. This is purely for fun...I'll wait at least four weeks before building the online shop :) .

Soldato
Ive bought quite a few books for CSS and XHTML amongst other programming languages, but so far i haven't really got m moneys worth out of them, not even the £5 ones.
Every time i need something i just use google.

Most of what you need to know can be fund ona site called w3schools, i think thats the one.
Has loads of different languages on and starts from the very start to more complex things, then you can just go through making your own websites and developing your programming skills.
best way i find to learn is read through websites and do stuff myself

Caporegime
Don't bother getting a book. I am a web design noob but in the last week or so my coding skills have increased hugely. Get a bit of free webspace and have a play. Thats what I have found as the best way.

Get a general layout in your head and start building, using a couple of sites and these here forums when you hit a problem that you cant solve. :)

Have a look at these websites to get you started:

www.w3schools.com/
www.htmldog.com/guides/

And not forgetting:
www.google.co.uk

Excellent for the harder problems and a wealth of knowledge. :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys I'll check out that website and the book.

Just rembered that when I was dabbling in website construction about 8 years ago now the most valuable tool I found at the time was right click, view source.

Nothing like taking apart someone else's to see how it works.

Caporegime
Meths said:
Thanks guys I'll check out that website and the book.

Just rembered that when I was dabbling in website construction about 8 years ago now the most valuable tool I found at the time was right click, view source.

Nothing like taking apart someone else's to see how it works.

Yeah, that has helped me greatly too (especially on the css side.) It means you can actually see what something will look like. :)

Associate
Also get the webdevelopers tool bar for firefox, really usefull when you come across asite and you want to see how it's done

I got the HTML dog book and it's pretty good really, i also find the sams teach yourself books quite good for minature snipits - but most of this stuff is online anyway

Associate
Soldato
i tried books and could'nt get into it so found some design tutorials that give you the code and had a mess about with them to see what different values and stuff did, found that way a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom