Can someone please help me get 5.0GHz from my 7700k?

Associate
I'm an overclocking noob but I'm pretty confident my hardware is up to it. I've just built a new PC (spec at the bottom of this post).

I've done a lot of reading and for some reason I can't get pass an x264 stress test at anything over 4.8GHz?! (Blue screen)

All I've done is this so far (base on videos\reading up):

BIOS:

AI Overclocking Tuner = XMP
CPU Core Ratio = Sync All Cores
1-Core Ratio Limit = 50

LLC = 5

CPU Core Cache Current Limit Max = Auto
CPU Graphics Current Limit = 255.5
MIN CPU Cache Ratio = 43
MAX CPU Cache Ratio = 43

CPU Core/Cache Voltage = Manual
Core Voltage Override = 1.380v

CPU C-States = Disabled

So obviously that gave me 5.0GHz, and it passes Cinebench like that but the package temp MAX reaches 85°C, which maybe isn't too bad for a stress test on a 7700k as maybe real world temps would be at 75°C ish? I'd like to see it cooler though.

BUT

It wont last 20 seconds in an x264 stress test with those settings, just blue screens. So I dialled the Core ratio limit back to 48 (4.8GHz) and it passes x264 just fine but for some reason the vcore only shows as 1.27o under load in HWiNFO and CPU-Z? And reaches 79°C

So what am I missing here, after doing lots of research before buying and assembling these parts I was pretty sure I'd get 5.0GHz or at least very near?

I'd really like some ideas to try and some info on what temps I should be hitting MAX in both Cinenech and x264 as I bought this system with the intention on getting near 5.0GHz to handle CPU heavy games. I've spent the best part of 3 days solid trying to figure it out myself now so it's time to ask for help. Please help lol

If I can't get near 5.0GHz then it was waste of money because my old 4790k sits at 4.8GHz all day long with just a multiplier and vcore tweak on a cheap AIR COOLER! (Hyper 212 EVO)!!!!

Spec:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Mobo: ASUS Z270 TUF Mark 1
CPU: Intel i7-7700k
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz
PSU: Corsair RMi 850w
SSD: M.2 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
FANS: 4x Corsair ML140's 2x NZXT 140mm
GPU: None (Awaiting EVGA 1080ti Hybrid Release)

Notes on setup:

The Kraken's pump is set to 'Performance' in NZXT CAM.

2x NZXT 140mm fans on the front of the CPU rad (controlled via QFan in BIOS taking their temp from CPU) and 2x Corsair ML140 fans on the back of the CPU rad (controlled via QFan in BIOS taking their temp from CPU) so a PUSH/PULL setup with all fans running the same.

2x Corsair ML140's exhausting the top of the case, controlled by QFAN and also set to read from the CPU temp.

Once I get the GPU installed I'll do a proper fan setup to ensure positive pressure etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Might have got unlucky with the chip. Most of them can reach the 5ghz mark but not all. Try putting LLC at 3. I've had better luck with it on medium.

Associate
There are lots of things that you can try.

Voltage seems a bit high, as do temps.

I never just shoot for a given speed.
Better to slowly build up the mhz and tweak stuff like voltage as you go.
Randomly plugging in values and hoping you pick the right combination isn't easy, by gradually increasing speed you might learn enough to get a higher speed stable.

I would test with Xmp off to begin with.

Associate
OP
There are lots of things that you can try.

Voltage seems a bit high, as do temps.

I never just shoot for a given speed.
Better to slowly build up the mhz and tweak stuff like voltage as you go.
Randomly plugging in values and hoping you pick the right combination isn't easy, by gradually increasing speed you might learn enough to get a higher speed stable.

I would test with Xmp off to begin with.

Thanks you. It's probably more likely I'm doing something wrong than a bad chip. I did actually slowly build up originally and thought I'd cracked 5.0GHz with Cinebench but it was a bit hot and it failed x264.

I will try with XMP off next then, thanks.

Associate
OP
OK so with:

LLC = 3
XMP = Off

4.5GHz @1.245v = 70°C MAX - Passed Cinebench

4.8GHz @ 1.300v in BIOS = 64°C MAX - Passed Cinebench with HWinfo showing 1.263v MAX

4.9GHz @ 1.300v in BIOS = BLUE SCREEN

4.9GHz @ 1.350v in BIOS = 69°C MAX - Passed Cinebench with HWinfo showing 1.245v MAX

So why did it crash at 4.9GHZ 1.3v if HWinfo shows it only using 1.245v when it passed the second time?

I don't actually have Prime95 but I can give you a screenshot while running Cinebench if you like? What OC settings would you like to see?

Associate
OP
Well here's a screenshot of 4.9GHz with the voltage set at 1.35v in the BIOS:

Direct link: http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz243/P-Ford/CB Test 4.9GHz.png

CB%20Test%204.9GHz.png

Associate
Hard to make out anything in that screenshot its resolution is quite low. Though it is weird. Maybe your motherboard is outputting incorrect voltages? Not sure if thats a common thing but it's possible.

Associate
OP
Try this: http://i67.tinypic.com/f3s3lg.png or http://i66.tinypic.com/2pqtlqo.jpg

Also I just blue screened 60% of the way through 1x x264 loop with the following settings:

4.9GHz 1.35v (BIOS)

MAX Package temp was 72°C before blue screen
VCORE MAX was showing at 1.298v on CPU-Z before blue screen

I have to go wash the car quick while the suns out but I'll be back in an hour if you have any more suggestions for me. I really want to get to the bottom of this but I'm in no rush as this new PC is setup along side my current one on the desk so I'm happy to try everyone's suggestions and get it dialled before I break down the old PC and make the switch over to the new one. So please don't think I'm over here stressing about getting my new PC running ASAP like some nutter. I just now need some outside help because I'm not exactly sure what's going on.

Associate
OP
Are you thinking it's blue screening because it's not getting enough voltage? I don't get why when I set my VCORE to 1.35v in the BIOS it never gets close to that figure in a stress test?

I'll be back in an hour or so, so if you have any suggestions at all today then jot them down here and I'll give them a go later on :)

Associate
Try using another program to check the figures. HWmonitor is one I use myself. From the screen shots it's just telling me your VID not the VCore so that's not the actual voltage.

Associate
Is the voltage you are seeing correct?
Are you thinking it's blue screening because it's not getting enough voltage? I don't get why when I set my VCORE to 1.35v in the BIOS it never gets close to that figure in a stress test?

I'll be back in an hour or so, so if you have any suggestions at all today then jot them down here and I'll give them a go later on :)

I would be tempted to turn off power saving stuff in the bios and try and tune it with a fixed voltage.
You can turn power saving back on once you have found what's stable without. It's one less thing to confuse things.

Jay has a good point about hwmonitor, worth trying.

Associate
OP
Try using another program to check the figures. HWmonitor is one I use myself. From the screen shots it's just telling me your VID not the VCore so that's not the actual voltage.

Oh I see! What program will give me the actual V-core then?

Also I though I did set manual voltage to 1.35 in the BIOS. And I'm sure I have all power saving features off but I'll go have another look.

EDIT/ I see you mention HWMonitor, I'll grab that now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Associate
That can't be a correct reading way to high your cpu would fry at those voltages. Yeah that looks like a fine guide try and follow it see what results it yeilds.

Associate
OP
That can't be a correct reading way to high your cpu would fry at those voltages. Yeah that looks like a fine guide try and follow it see what results it yeilds.

Cool, I'll default my BIOS and work through that guide maybe tomorrow afternoon and see what happens. Where will I see the actual CPU voltage then on HWMonitor?

Back
Top Bottom