Can you break onboard wifi ??

Associate
Hey

Ive searched the internet quite a bit today to try figure out:

Can you break onboard wifi controller by plugging in the antennae while pc is on?

Details:
I have an asus crosshair hero VIII wifi version. I needed to use a bluetooth device this morning, which i seldom do, and realised the antenna had not been attached since i last transported the pc. I plugged the antennae in while the pc was in bluetooth discovery mode and then then everything vanished - as in the bluetooth pairing options.
I looked at my device manager and it said that my wifi and bluetooth modules have been disconnected! I started with the usual drivers reset and reinstall. nothing. I then did a clean win 10 install and they dont show up at all, even if i say 'view hidden devices'. In the bios they are still enabled..

Is it possible that I have blown the wifi controller on the mobo? I never thought it would be possible! Thoughts?

Soldato
Usually you shouldn't connect/disconnect things without powering down...
Unless things on both sides of the connector are designed for "hotplugging".
I'm not sure about specifics, but maybe connecting antenna when transmitter was operating caused some sudden load spike.

Trying some Linux with "live" testing feature without installation could be way to test that problem is truly in hardware.

Associate
Yes you can is the answer. Electric static discharge. I know this might sound odd but can you update your bios to the latest version and down load the latest chipset drivers from Amds web site. Once done make sure the WiFi network is not disabled in your bios.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys! Well let this be a warning that it is possible. will try a bios update this weekend and see if it may kick back into life ;)

Soldato
u might want to try removing the CPU and putting back in this fixed this for me
CPU has literally nothing to do with Wifi or any network connectivity of mobo.
Those are in chipset/separate chips.
But maybe having CPU out resets something in BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom