1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you install win7 via an external usb drive?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by dr4g0nf1y, 12 Mar 2010.

1. dr4g0nf1y

Wise Guy

I still don't want to get any ssd's but I want to use as many sata sdrives as possible. I still have some ide drives though but wouldn't want to keep them in the system once win7 is installed.

I don't really use my dvd drives so a usb drive might be slow when I need it but it's not worth taking up an internal port.

so just to recap, can I install windows 7 on a fully raid0 sata connection with an external usb drive or can I use an ide drive then remove it after installation?

2. lokkers

Wise Guy

You can install from a USB stick, but I'm not sure about a USB disk drive.

3. dr4g0nf1y

Wise Guy

I have tried installing off a usb drive before on an old laptop that had a broken firewire drive and I couldn't locate the drive in bios, so that's why I'm not too sure.

Guess it's best just to use the ide then remove it afterwards.

I've always wondered why they even bothered about putting them on there since sata's became the standard, now I have a reason lol :D

4. dbmzk1

Sgarrista

It works fine from a USB device of any kind, be it flash or hard drive based. The process is the same for any. I've installed 7 on about 5 PC's from a USB hard drive with no issues. If you have a memory card reader and a memory card big enough you can even use that.

Check out the guide here http://www.eteknix.com/how-tos/how-to-install-windows-vista-or-windows-7-from-a-usb-drive/

There are also multiple tools you can download which do it automatically.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2010
  5. marmalade

Wise Guy

6. dr4g0nf1y

Wise Guy

I have win 7 pro and home just on the retail discs but will I be able to create an iso of those discs in the same manner?

7. marmalade

Wise Guy

Last edited: 12 Mar 2010