can you turn any monitor in to touchscreen with software?

Soldato
probably bit of an odd question, but is it possible to to make a screen touchscreen from some sort of software or is it mainly down to the actual hardware of the screen design?

Soldato
As above, if you want to make a monitor a touchscreen, you can usually buy a touch panel addon to make it touch. There's also some that uses IR so it's just a bar sitting on the bottom edge of the monitor, making it far more compact and won't add a filter over the screen. But I have no idea how well these work. You can buy monitors with inbuilt touch, currently using some from Iiyama for work but they are a bit expensive.

Soldato
the screen needs a haptic or other input panel on it. Most "touchscreen" have these built in, but you can buy USB overlay panels that then plug into the same PC you've connected the monitor to and run some software in the background. It's a bit cack that way and the screen overlays can be a bit hit and miss especially if they are not affixed properly

Soldato
OP
thanks for replies.

ah right i figured it was daft idea to think of after i posted, the idea i actually have if for my computer in my sig, i was thinking of the Pi ideas with their screens, but one big enough that i could fit to the side of the case making it look like a built in one, im thinking if i need to take it with me anywhere like when i go back to devon for a few days, it be easier than taking a standalone screen, laptop would suit my needs for this, but i was thinking of it as a project as well, do something different.

Soldato
I would have thought the biggest issue with using IR etc addons is that a non-touch screen isn't intended to be touched and over time is likely to get damaged.

Back
Top Bottom