Can your boiler blow up??

Soldato
Our boiler is making some HORRIFIC noises. It refuses to stay lit and the only way to stop the noises is to turn this plastic tap underneath to off or full:confused:, not sure which way does which but then I turn it counter clockwise so that the blue marker is more to the right the pipe rattling noises stop and my mrs stops shouting at me.

It seriously sounds like its gonna blow!!!!

Could it? I'm actually a little worried :eek:

I don't know what we should do, I've told my landlady, but she is useless and just said she will try and call someone on monday. Is there anything we should do in the mean time?

I also noticed that the carbon monoxide warning thing we have in the cupboard with the boiler is dark, its been in there far too long though (2005) so I got a new one and just put it in now.

Not having any heating or hot water is ******* annoying :( especially with a 7 month old baby to think of. Am i right in thinking that we can't do any washing without any hot water coming from the boiler? I don't know if washing machines heat their own water but the fact that there is a red pipe and a blue pipe going into it would seem to suggest that they don't. The machine is a Hotpoint Aquarius WF-250

Cheers in advance for any advice,

G

Soldato
There is a possibility it could blow - but unlikely.
It should have a release valve for overpressure (unless this is damaged or obstructed in which case it probably will explode)

Turn off all electric and gas/water too it and take it totally offline.

I would be more worried about the fumes though. IF the Carbon Monoxide sticker has changed colour and you have a suspicion the flu is faulty, I would get out of the house and get a serviceman in to investigate it. It can kill very easily and you will not even notice yourself getting tired before collapsing.

Soldato
The tap you keep turning adjusts the pressure, there is probably a gauge somewhere telling you what the current pressure is (you turn it to open it to get the pressure back up and then turn it back to close it when the pressure is right)

Also what colour is the pilot light, if it's anything other than blue, turn it off.

Soldato
Whats your pressure reading?
They should be around 1bar, im guessing the tap your turning is the top up valve. They make horrible noise's when the safety valve is purging, is there any water coming out of the overflow?

Note - thats a guess, you should get someone out to look at it!

Associate
sounds like a wter pressure problem to me.

Refusing to stay lit is a symptom of low/no pressure, as the boiler would cut out automatically to avoid it boiling dry or similar...

however...get a corgi registered professional round to look at it ASAP.

TG

Associate
It's likely there are a couple of plumbers on here that would give some good advice, or a few people who are competent with things like this. This is totally different to spec me a desert.

i LIKE the spec me a [insert random pointless thing here] threads.

they are a source of constant amusement, not to mention a window into the mind of the common internet dweller.

the 'how do i make cheese on toast' thread was hilarious.

Soldato
It's likely there are a couple of plumbers on here that would give some good advice, or a few people who are competent with things like this. This is totally different to spec me a desert.

I agree, calling a plumber this time on a saturday night is going to cost you a good 100 quid call out, even finding one that wont rip your arms off wont be easy.

Soldato
Were you aware that there are such 24 hour emergency services like: -

Plumbers
Central heating repair
Locksmiths
Glass fitters
Drain fitters
Carpenters
Electricians?

Where would I put OcUK on that list if my boiler was making horrible noises and I was worried it was going to "blow up"? Himmm let me give that one a think.

I agree, calling a plumber this time on a saturday night is going to cost you a good 100 quid call out, even finding one that wont rip your arms off wont be easy.
If he's worried enough to ask if it's going to blow up, he's worried enough to call them.

Soldato
OP
Pilot light = Blue

New monoxide indicator = fine so far (PHEW!)

Presure = 3 bars

When I light the boiler and switch on the hot water the pressure jumps straight up to 5 and then flicks between 2 and 5 whist making the most horrendous racket :eek:and then the boiler light goes out and the pressure settles on 2.5

Step #1 when you're worried about something, always ask OcUK first. :rolleyes:

:p

I don't know anything about boilers and some people here might:eek:

Obviously we are getting a professional to look at it when my landlady pulls her finger of her unnaturally tight posterior.

G

Soldato
i LIKE the spec me a [insert random pointless thing here] threads.

they are a source of constant amusement, not to mention a window into the mind of the common internet dweller.

the 'how do i make cheese on toast' thread was hilarious.

:D

I was replying to a post about OcUK being the answer to everything. I'm saying that this is something that could potentially affect his life in a medium sized way, and that it's different to people asking about moronically simple things that everyone should know. I find those threads funny sometimes, the stupidity of some people is hilarious.

Soldato
OP

Plumbers
Central heating repair
Locksmiths
Glass fitters
Drain fitters
Carpenters
Electricians?

Where would I put OcUK on that list if my boiler was making horrible noises and I was worried it was going to "blow up"? Himmm let me give that one a think.

If he's worried enough to ask if it's going to blow up, he's worried enough to call them.

1 We can't afford a plumber.

2 It's not our boiler

Soldato

Plumbers
Central heating repair
Locksmiths
Glass fitters
Drain fitters
Carpenters
Electricians?

Yeah, but they are pretty expensive, and if there's a chance he could get the answers he needs until his land lady sorts it out for free, he might as well.

Back
Top Bottom