can your lighter blew itself out ?

Associate

seen as i dont smoke while every one else is having a fag i play with my lighter its a old ex army one and if i turn the gas up high enuf the flame goes to about 8 inches then too mutch gas comes thru and it blows itself out

ill post a pic of the actual lighter in a min and could you tell me what one of these lighters are called.

Permabanned
There's a large amount of spelling/grammar mistakes in your post, it's hard to understand what you're trying to say. :)

The butane in the lighter is blowing out the flame?

Soldato
RadoX said:

seen as i dont smoke while every one else is having a fag i play with my lighter its a old ex army one and if i turn the gas up high enuf the flame goes to about 8 inches then too mutch gas comes thru and it blows itself out

ill post a pic of the actual lighter in a min and could you tell me what one of these lighters are called.

Can your lighter blow itself out?

Seeing as I don't smoke, while everyone else is having a cigarette, I play with my lighter; it's an old ex-army one and if I turn the gas up high enough the flame grows to about 8", then too much gas comes out and it blows itself out.

I'll post a picture of the lighter in a minute. Could you tell me what one of these lighters is called?

Edited for those of you who can't understand. :p

Soldato
ChroniC said:
Yes, for butane or most gases a oxygen to butane ratio has to be right otherwise it doesnt work.
If you were to try and light a lighter in a completely filled room of butane, correct me if im wrong it wouldnt even light let alone explode.

Technically that would be correct, if there was no oxygen.
Fire/Flame used O2 to burn so the above would be right.

But actually being able to get a room void of oxygen would be very difficult for you to do.

Suspended
back in my school days we used to smash clipper lighters as hard as possible onto the road so they go bang :D fun or what..

i aint done that for years hmm... :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yes the gas can blow itself out if the gas flow rate is high enough. As explained above if there's too much gas present and not enough air then it won't burn as it can only combust between a fairly tight air to gas ratio. Too lean and it won't burn, too rich and it won't either. When it is coming out the lighter at a high enough rate the flame front is pushed away from the lighter, the air doesn't get a chance to mix in and eventually it can't sustain itself and goes out. I think that makes sense.

When we made a flame thrower at the sfx firm I used to work at we had loads of trouble keeping it lit because the liquid propane just doused the flame out and left us with a warehouse full of unburned propane gas. We had to put a barrel on it that drew air into the mix so that it would burn by itself.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
G|mp said:
Why would you have a lighter if you dont smoke?
a lot of people like to have zippo style lighters to play with, i dont know why plus i suppose it always useful if an attractive lady asks for a light, but does that make her less attractive i dunno :)

Permabanned
blitz2163 said:
a lot of people like to have zippo style lighters to play with, i dont know why plus i suppose it always useful if an attractive lady asks for a light, but does that make her less attractive i dunno :)

Attractive lady: Have you got a light please young man

Young man: Yes, here you go petal

Attractive lady: Would you like a cigarette?

Young man: No thanks i dont smoke

Attractive lady: Weirdo :confused:

Man of Honour
G|mp said:
Attractive lady: Have you got a light please young man

Young man: Yes, here you go petal

Attractive lady: Would you like a cigarette?

Young man: No thanks i dont smoke

Attractive lady: Weirdo :confused:
Kids these days :confused:

Back
Top Bottom