Canada Trip - Anyone been?

Soldato
I'm in the process of planning my first real trip on my own, and my first holiday for quite a few years! The current 'plan' is to go to Toronto for a few days (maybe 5) and take a trip out to Niagra Falls, then fly to Vancouver for 10days or so. In Vancouver there's whale watching and loads of sight-seeing to do! i could also go to Whistler as it's a few hours away, and maybe Seattle.

Has anyone been to any of these places as i'm a bit lost as there are so many options, and i don't really know where to start with these things!

Just so you know, i'm young(ish), will be going on my own, in June, and for about 2 weeks.

I've been looking at flights to, and they lways seem to shock with their obscene pricing :D I can go with FlyZoom/AirCanada for about £700 (bigger seats for the long flights), or AirCanada for £550 (normal seats, but a LOT more choice on flights). Not sure on that one yet, spend money on more leg room (i'm 6ft3 or so), or spend the money elsewhere?

Anyway, i've probably not made a whole lot of sense there, but if anyone has any ideas, or wants to come along, then let me know :D

Soldato
OP
Does anyone have any suggestions of things to do in Vancouver? other than sight-seeing and whale watching (by boat or kayak! - they appear to get VERY close to kayaks :D ).

Soldato
OP
I might also try to watch a bit of sport. I'm not a real fan, but it would be an experience :)

I see the Toronto Blue Jays (baseball) and playing Chicago whilst i'm there, so that might be worth a go!

Soldato
OP
secretspy said:
don't fly with Air Canada, my aunt used to use them and said they were awful

as for those flight prices they are ridiculous. I paid £100 each way when I went last year

I flew with my travel through CanadianAffair.com. they also deal with Thomas Cook but My Travel were recommended. its only £59 extra to go first class and it really does make a difference!!!

The flight costs aren't that bad. There's no way i can fly to Canada for £100 each way including taxes!!!

The costs above are for 3 flights (london > toronto, toronto > vancouver, vancouver > london), and the one with Fly Zoom is with upgraded seats.

Soldato
OP
Vixen said:
We went to Toronto for 2 weeks over the summer, with 10 days in the outskirts, then the last 4 in town. Out of town we needed a car, but I enjoyed it a lot more, as didn't just feel like another city. We took a day down to Niagara, via Niagara on the Lake, which I'd definately recommend. We found a winery that makes a lot of icewine, and did the tour and tasting, which was fun :).

It's been a long time since I was on the west coast, but I think the same principles applied then - try to keep out of the city as there are loads of interesting things in the suburbs and beyond.

I'm from the country myself, so the city thing appeals in a way as it's something i'm not used to :) It just seems like a logical place to base myself as well, as hopefully there'll be other people there in a similar situation as myself!

Just out of interest, what kind of things did you do in and around Toronto?

Back
Top Bottom