1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canada's Trudeau back under a cloud heading into tight election

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Evangelion, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Evangelion

Capodecina

When Justin Trudeau restored freedom to Canada after nearly a decade of disastrous crypto-fascist rule under a catastrophically incompetent Tory regime, Canadians were justified in thinking their nation had finally turned a corner.

Fast forward to 2019, and it looks like Trudeau will be a single term PM. The ethics scandal that exploded in February is still dragging on, and every week it grows heavier around Trudeau's neck.

(Source).

Can Trudeau shake it off? Unlikely. I think he'll lose the election.

2. doodah

Capodecina

This still going on, for the little I've read about it*, it really didn't look good for him. A real shame but if he did play a role in it and is continuing to cover up/lie - only one solution unfortunately.

*the last I read about it centered on a rather incriminating audio recording.

Edit - oh right he's been found guilty. The reasons don't excuse his interference.

Edit - he says he will take responsibility, I don't remember him doing so until he got found guilty.

Edit - scrap that, he doesn't take responsibility as he doesn't think influencing the AG was wrong despite been found guilty :rolleyes:.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  3. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Any truth to the rumour that Fidel Castro was his dad?

4. StriderX

Capodecina

Literally Canada's Tony Blair, didn't quite live up to the lofty claims.

5. Hotwired

Soldato

Trudeau is definitely not living up to the claim of being Tony Blair if he gets kicked out after one term.

6. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Tony Blair was overrated anyway.

7. StriderX

Capodecina

Political environment is a bit different nowadays, it's about the presentation of the man and his party that seems rather similar to me.

8. Uther

Sgarrista

So it turns out all politicians are scumbags then, what a surprise.

9. viathinair

Wise Guy

Uh oh x2.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49763805

Do you follow the Maple Tories / Canuckservatives currently? How are they nowadays? Makes me wonder if they would be an increase, and if to a notable degree, in the trash we have from not just Trump but also Bolsonaro, Boris and Brexit, etc. For the sake of completion, a tiny part of me wishes Rob Ford was still around and somehow became Canadian PM :p

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  10. robfosters

Caporegime

That’s him gone then.

You could achieve world peace and find a cure for cancer, but a bit of blackface and that’s it, you’re the next Hitler.

11. dowie

Caporegime

The blackface thing is silly, it wasn’t really a thing back then, he wasn’t dressing like that to mock or belittle black or arab people but simply as part of a cosurume.

It’s become a bigger issues now to dress like that for a costume party because of social media, you’d not do it these days because these stories have caused outrage and that aspect of US culture/link to minstrel shows from decades ago etc.. has been acknowledged.

You’d not wear blackface today because it is widely seen as something that you shouldn’t do and leaves some ambiguity as to whether you are intending to mock the people you’re mimicking.

There was nothing inherently racist in his intent or his actions, he’s stood in one photo with his arms round two brown people - we’re just retrospectively applying today’s standards to something that happened nearly two decades ago and declaring some outrage despite the fact that it is pretty clear that this guy isn’t racist and he was just wearing a costume oblivious to the fact that costume might well not be acceptable in later years.

12. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I actually agree with you 100% (for once)

13. Fubsy

Sgarrista

Oh come on, don't go easy on him just because he isn't the orange man.

Blackface/brownface has always been wrong, it was just idiots that did it were never pulled up on it and thought they would get away with it.

14. Uther

Sgarrista

Same. He would have probably survived the corruption scandal (people almost expect politicians to be corrupt...) but this will finish him off in todays climate IMO.

15. dowie

Caporegime

Lol but couldn’t resist throwing in a snide comment at the end still... stay classy Vincent.

16. Greebo

Caporegime

Was it? I mean I know now it is but back when I was young the world was a different place. You only have to look at what was accepted on primetime TV which is clearly nowadays nothing but racist so why would normal people even think it was racist at the time? The black and white minstrel show was one of the most watched TV programs for 20 years. You had Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning telling racist jokes. You had It aint half hot mum, love thy neighbour, even Fawlty Towers had jokes about "******* and nogs". The list goes on and on.

I mean in 1987 I went to a fancy dress party dressed as an arab with a teatowel as my headwear, brown faced with a fake beard and a suicide bomb vest.

Did I think I was being racist at the time? No. Did i win the prize for best fancy dress costume? Yes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  17. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Yup, imagine if a photo of Donald or Boris blacked up in the 1990s appeared. The frothing would be audible on the ISS.

18. Fubsy

Sgarrista

I was brought up in the 80's by parents that at least told me this stuff wasn't right even though it was on the television. Although, in all honesty I've grown up always seeing primetime TV as nothing but dirge to pay no attention to, so I will never use that as a barometer of acceptability. Also, I'm a ginger so understood that having my appearance mocked in anyway was hurtful so I would not do it to others and distanced myself from those that would. You are right however that back then, if challenged, these acts would be accepted as nothing more but 'fun' because people knew it was wrong and had to label it as such to fit in with the crowd.

JT has been found out as a full on hypocrite and should be called out as much as we would Trump, Boris, Harry and whoever else is on the "wrong" side of politics and public life.

19. Greebo

Caporegime

I suppose the difference is down to how they are today. Boris would be damaged as much as this is damaging Trudeau, maybe less as Trudeau is the poster boy of minorities and he is so liberal and PC.

Trump has and still keep saying and doing stuff that makes people think hes a racist now and therefore an old photo of him blacked up wouldnt surprise people and would just confirm their belief of him.

As I have said already, i did this when i was young. I repeatedly get labelled a leftie liberal on these forums and have never come across as racist until other people on here but obviously on some people basis, because of something I did 30 years ago, clearly i am a racist. Shrugs.

20. Greebo

Caporegime

Well thats the big difference then. Both my parents were definitely racist. My dad still refers to black people as "darkies" and he refuses to be treated by none white doctors and nurses. And we watched a lot of TV back then