Cannabidiol slashes seizures in kids with rare epilepsy, study finds

Soldato
Among children taking cannabidiol, the decrease in the frequency of convulsive seizures -- which involve a loss of consciousness, stiffened muscles and jerking movements -- was 23 percentage points greater than the decrease in seizures among children taking a placebo.

Despite the generally positive results, most study participants reported side effects that included vomiting, fatigue, diarrhea and some liver issues.

Back to the drawing board.

Soldato
Fine if they can use derivatives of it for medical purposes. Who would object to that?

I'd still rather not have the stench of weed be as common as cigarette smoke or vape clouds, thanks. Keep it confined to home and cafes (ie: away from public places) if it's legalised.

Had my fill of the grief that the stuff can cause families as well. It irks me when it's touted as being completely harmless.

Soldato
When you compare it to tobacco it doesn't make sense for it to be illegal but to be honest I wouldn't mind that being banned. There are other drugs that are less harmful to you and the others around that are also illegal but people don't complain about them being banned.

Caporegime
I have no issues with legalizing weed, however this is not an argument for it.

It's a bit like arguing that heroin should be legalized because it's great as a painkiller.

Its even better when the relevant chemicals are extracted and/or synthesised and given in controlled and consistent doses, which is what a company(s) will do if the trial is deemed a success and the treatment is authorized by relevant bodies.

And no if it's just a natural extract then ancompany is not going to be able to patent it and sell it at exorbitant prices - that's only if they modify the chemical in some way- which again negates the "legalize it" argument, because you won't be able to get that chemical from normal weed.

Man of Honour
I have no issues with legalizing weed, however this is not an argument for it.

And no if it's just a natural extract then ancompany is not going to be able to patent it and sell it at exorbitant prices - that's only if they modify the chemical in some way- which again negates the "legalize it" argument, because you won't be able to get that chemical from normal weed.

Exactly. CBD is an intermediate in plants on the way to making THC. The stuff used for smoking has trivial levels of CBD: if THC is at a typical 10%, then CBD is around 0.1%. If is possible to grow cannabis plants with higher levels of CBD though, and you can even get (until Brexit anyway) an EU grant to do so, because these are the plants grown for hemp fibre. But these mutated plants never generate THC, which is why they have the higher CBD levels. (THC levels are required to be below 0.2%).

Soldato
The University of Queensland's Hall believes that boundaries between medical use of cannabinoids and the recreational use of cannabis by adults should not be blurred. "If future clinical trials confirm these promising results, then appropriate regulation will enable the drug to be safely used for medical purposes," he said.

I think that sums it up. Research like this shouldn't be used as propaganda for the legalisation of cannabis (regardless of anyone's opinion on the general issue).

If it is good as medicine for a specific condition, then it should be prescribed by doctors only.

Back
Top Bottom