Cannabis - Best as a Class B or C

Soldato
Dolph said:
Two issues that are largely fuelled by the illegality of drugs rather than drugs themselves...

RDM said:
As to intimidation and crimes by drug runners, if it was legal, then you would remove the drug runners from the equation. You would probably also reduce it's price (and possibly therefore the number of crimes commited), be able to identify problem users easier and ensure purity.

Depends, if the drugs where available at the same price legally in a supermarket yes the issues might be a lot less, but that certainly is not going to happen, so simply legalising one drug is not going to help, and actually make it worse imo!

RDM said:
Last time I looked mugging someone is a crime regardless of what you use the money for. Is mugging someone for cannabis money worse than mugging someone for beer money or mugging someone to bet on the horses or buy a new TV?

No mate of course not, but is not mugging someone because you arnt f'ed up in the head better than mugging someone because you are f'ed up and you want cannabis? i think so

don't get me wrong guys i see where your coming from, I'm just being devil's advocate and pointing out where the government are coming from, simply trying to remove your freedoms isn't the ONLY reason ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
You might as well take it from the horses mouth:

I'm 19, classification didn't deter me for one second from getting my hands on grass, pills and coke and cramming them into me, if you are going to take drugs, you are going to take them regardless of the legality of them, and if someone is going to take them, then someone is going to pay for them, and therefore someone is willing to risk selling them.

As a detterent it's useless, drugs are here and they are here to stay, what we need to focus on is education and harm reduction.

I've been there and experienced how drugs do mess you up, but that isn't somthing you believe when you are my age, since you have that bravado and feel invincible*; you have to experience it and learn self control, but that's life and I don't think the government should mess about with that.

For example, through experience I know that if you sit inside, watch films and smoke grass constant you get restless and depressed (possibly because you've spent 7 days solid inside on you're arse which is enough to make anyone slightly crazy high or not), if you cut down on it just a bit and stay active and creative you are fine; spliff in the sun, play cricket all day, whip the guitar out, sweet fantastic, only person I directly harm is myself. I'll probably need to go to the NHS sooner or later for a cocktail of highly dangerous schitzophrenia suppressing drugs with some interesting side effects. But that is what I pay taxes for.

*And it's probably made my post increadibly biased, but its the way I think about the whole fiasco.

Last edited:
Associate
Richdog said:
CANNABIS CHANGES YOUR BRAIN. When you digest this fact you will understand the difference between alcohol and cannabis, and why the stronger it is the more harmful it is.

Yawntastic m8, no-ones really listening...

so alcohol (a drug) doesnt in any way shape or form affect or change your brains chemistry.... ffs eating chocolate changes the brains chemistry...

lightweights i say, you should stay away from anything dangerous, just in case it makes you paranoid or scared, anti social or agraphobic. Get a life boys dont slate every one elses you dont like.

Soldato
Neal said:
lightweights i say, you should stay away from anything dangerous, just in case it makes you paranoid or scared, anti social or agraphobic. Get a life boys dont slate every one elses you dont like.

I have been thinking that for quite a while but didnt say it :D

Soldato
Richdog said:
CANNABIS CHANGES YOUR BRAIN. When you digest this fact you will understand the difference between alcohol and cannabis, and why the stronger it is the more harmful it is. A few spliffs of super-skunk per week, every week, would be a lot more harmful than a few shots of booze per week. The liver is more or less guaranteed to cope with a few sots of strong alcohol, whereas the brain is under far more risk with powerful hash.

yeah mate agree 100% alcohol's never changed my brain whatsoever

wait what

Permabanned
Richdog said:
CANNABIS CHANGES YOUR BRAIN.

News flash, everything changes your brain. Reading a book you wouldn't normally changes your brain, eating carrots changes your brain.

The problem isn't with cannabis itself, the problem is people abusing it and using it as a crutch. The same can be said for all manner of legal substances.

Of all the surveys of links to cannabis and psychosis one thing they usually forget to mention is that they are done on the armed forces. Smoking cannabis makes you paranoid? If you're in a situation that warrants paranoia, lets say in a war zone or the threat of being called up to one you bet your bottom dollar.

If you read any Timothy Leary or Terrence McKenna they introduce a concept of set and setting, basically explaining that the drugs act like a sort of mood expander. If you feel depressed and smoke a joint, then yes you will probably still feel depressed and fall into a pit of self pity leading to all manner of mental illness (thats if the short term memory loss doesn't make you forgot your worries [trivial or not]). Is this due to the drugs, try due to the unhealthy mindsets that are apperent throughout the world.

Associate
Stag said:
try due to the unhealthy mindsets that are apperent throughout the world.

yep couldnt agree more,

How many f'd up parents actually affect their childrens mental health? a lot more than you think!

I could go into a very long story about a friend, (manic depressive) who's now dead... it wasnt the pot that killed him, it was his own lack of will power, and stable mindset.... the pot actually helped him to be non-paranoid and lead a sort of normal life.... Drink killed him... Alcohol IS A DEPRESSIVE drug... does no-one undrestand that?? It changes your brain chemistry...O0oo No00oo :eek: (my sarcasm sneeking in)

Ok so alcohol and tobacco are "deep" set into our culture, but so was the slave trade untill 200 years ago. and so was the use of cocain and opium upto around 120 years ago.. The arguments i hear are basically people that cant handle it judging everyone else by their own bad experiences... which you cant, no 2 people will react the same to an experience..

Do you want us all to be robots that dont have any sort of life unless "the government" says its legal to do so... come on man.. go and read your bible or something.

I cant see the Dutch government complaining about huge increses in mental illness since the decriminalistion of cannabis, or the fact that its a huge tax income for them too???

simply trying to remove your freedoms isn't the ONLY reason (of the government) ;)

Well i have th freedom and expression to disobey their law, and if the other reasons are to do with mental health, then a HUGE study should be implamented to see if theirs any truth behind it... A few mental health workers all saying "well he / she smoked pot 10 years ago so it must be the reason for the depression and paranoia that this person is ecxperienceing" i see no weight in these argumnets...

lets see how many mental health issues are created by the use of alcohol...

Last edited:
Soldato
Alcohol is not classified as a drug but as a poison I believe. If Cannabis does alter permanently peoples minds in some way then yes it aint a perscription for a healthy life, but many other anti depressents are not either I would suggest.

Lots of things change the mind, some good and some not so. Just put cannabis in there with the rest of it.

Caporegime
robmiller said:
yeah mate agree 100% alcohol's never changed my brain whatsoever

wait what

Go and read up on the differences in the way in which they do so, then come back and attempt the sarcy remark again. ;)

Stag said:
News flash, everything changes your brain. Reading a book you wouldn't normally changes your brain, eating carrots changes your brain.

Good god man what a completely and utterly ludicrous comparison, please take the above advice.

Soldato
Fact......

Liquor and Cigaerette kill more people in a month than canabis does in a year. Cigarettes are far more addictive (in a chemical way) than canabis.

Therefore based on those premises alone Liquor and Cigarettes should be reclasified to Class A and outlawed accross the land. Anyone found to be selling or using either of these products should be locked up for a minimum of 10 years at her majesties pleasure. When this happens the government should then think about reclassifying canabis

Unfortuantely due to the tax rake the government coffers get based on the Liquor and Cigarette smoking adiction so many people have in the UK it will never happen

Caporegime
wildman said:
Fact......

Liquor and Cigaerette kill more people in a month than canabis does in a year.

This was estabished on page 1 mate, and is obvious given the proportianal difference in users.. :)

Cigarettes are far more addictive (in a chemical way) than canabis.

Nictotine is one of the most addictive drugs on the planet... again this is obvious.

Therefore based on those premises alone Liquor and Cigarettes should be reclasified to Class A and outlawed accross the land. Anyone found to be selling or using either of these products should be locked up for a minimum of 10 years at her majesties pleasure.

Again... read several pages back... we discussed why this wouldn't in reality happen. :)

Associate
I smoke it on and off. Used to smoke it constantly from when I was about 17 until a few years ago. (31 now) Personnally I don't think it would make much of a difference. Before reading this I honestly did not know if it was class B or class C at the minute :) If used like say a few bears after work to relax then I don't see what the problem is. Legalise it I say, keeps you from having to associate with the wrong type who usually also sell class A's.

Suspended
Not had the time to read the whole thread, but I'm guessing we've had the haters, the current users and the semi-supportive ex takers.

I first tried it when I was 16, smoked it constantly since I turned 18, from the end of upper 6th through Uni (a 3 month gap last year), I have at least one a day.

I have experienced very few negative effects - if any, I find it helps me concentrate and focus on things - which is very rare in people who take it from what I've experienced.

I stopped for 3 months last year, which I did as a kind of controlled experiment to see if it had effected me in some way I hadn't noticed while still using it, I went to about 20-30 ciggies a day (high pressure time of life), and would have a lot more alcohol, to start with I lost about 1/2 a stone (back to 12) as my metabolism sped back up to its normal rate (Cannabis speeds your metabolism in the short term (munchies) but over the next 12-18 hours will slow it down - this is why some stoner's gain weight - the overall slowing of their metabolism, not because they've always got the munchies, though some people vary).
I dropped the half stone in about 3 weeks, but quickly put it back on again through alcohol, ciggies, etc and went to 13 & 1/2 stone by the end of the 3 months.
Over the period I feel my ADD worsened, the alcohol I'd started to consume and the ciggies ruined my skin and for the first time in my life I actually got sick (first time I'd seen my doctor since my jabs when I was a kid.). I didn't feel any negative effects or signs I was mentally addicted (physical addiction isn't possible) and felt happy that with the kind of life I like to lead Cannabis is better for me than the alternatives of alcohol and cigarettes (Though I do enjoy the occasional cigar!). Without cannabis I found myself going out more and more (till 2am most days) and socializing in different circles, circles that were generally more pretentious, a bit more plasticy and in places that I was more likely to find myself in trouble.

At the moment, I typically have a rollie when I get up, the same at lunch, I then smoke bud when I get home. Weekdays I have a 7 O Clock rule which I stick to religiously, at the weekends I generally won't smoke bud till around 2 – 3 in the afternoon (typically when you could crack open a beer). I dropped the weight I gained relatively quickly and have stuck to the exercise routine I've recently started – not been ill or had a day off sick either, still smashed my targets to bits, got my bonuses and 2 pay rises so I think its safe to assume it doesn't effect my work. I have about 2 beers a week – but that's it for alcohol.

Without cannabis I'm an impatient dick who dresses badly, drinks in all the wrong places and generally achieves less day to day.

With it I'm calm, collected, and doing well for myself. Its not the same for everybody – it depends how your brain works. I still dress badly though.

Decriminalise but keep a sharp-eye on it I say, punish the groups of chav scum who sit outside schools and in parks, or who walk round town. Don't punish the guys who sit at home, grow enough for themselves who won't go out and make trouble, the guys who light up for the walk home from the night bus, or the guys who've just had a rubbish day at work.

Common sense is all that required.

Caporegime
Without cannabis I'm an impatient dick who dresses badly, drinks in all the wrong places and generally achieves less day to day.

With it I'm calm, collected, and doing well for myself
. Its not the same for everybody.

Classic sign of dependancy imo.

Associate
Classic sign of dependancy imo.

yawn...

like the tens of thousands of guys that go to the pub daily on the way home from work, or have to have a couple of cans before they go to bed... thats not in any way shape or form relavent to dependancy.... no thats acceptable because the governmaent says it is, of course. You speak utter narrow minded BS richdog, perhaps you should live a little before judging everyone by your own experiences. If we all thought the same how boring would life be??

dont get me started on the legal drugs that doctors hand out almost willy nilly these days, i take it theres no negative effects from anti deressants, like prozac etc... amd the fact that people become dependant very quickly...

Caporegime
You speak utter narrow minded BS richdog, perhaps you should live a little before judging everyone by your own experiences. If we all thought the same how boring would life be?

Mad that you're favourite dugs aren't legal eh? :)

Associate
Isn't it my brain to change though if I so choose?

Regardless of what drug you take, it will be society that picks up the tab and consequences IF anything happens to you. Therefore, I don't see it as being unreasonable that society has a say, of course if you had private medical health care and your drug taking didn't affect anyone go-ahead.

(This could also be applied to obesity too, or any other self-destructive mechanism.)

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Regardless of what drug you take, it will be society that picks up the tab and consequences IF anything happens to you. Therefore, I don't see it as being unreasonable that society has a say, of course if you had private medical health care and your drug taking didn't affect anyone go-ahead.

(This could also be applied to obesity too, or any other self-destructive mechanism.)

But I already pay for my medical care, probably more than I would if the only option was private medical. However the government also makes me pay for other peoples medical care. Health care in this country is only free if you don't work.

So, as I am already paying for health care, should I not be able to abuse my body in any way I see fit?

Soldato
It can be applied to craching a car due to driving irresponsibly or too fast, by none payment of taxes and just about everything else that has a potential consequence.

Cannabis is a worry but no more of one than other worries out there that loom large in society.

Top Bottom