Can't decide on a case at all and don't understand all this RGB

Associate
Had the HAF X case for far too long now. It's time for a change to something much smaller and easier to move. Also upgrading to X570/5950x.

The case will eventually have a 3080 or higher so good airflow is needed. I've tried to look at recommended cases and ones like the Lian Li 215 come up. Don't get me wrong it looks ok but when I watched some guys build video he was talking about addressable rgb headers I was just lost. Another was a Lancool II and it had some fan hub which totally lost me again.

I then came across Lian Li 11D case which seems to be very popular. I lost interest when he was installing the 12th fan. Is this case for aesthetics or actually to get better temps?

Can anyone recommend a case that has a detailed accompanying build video to help me? Must have good airflow as discussed previously and if possible stick to stock. Not against RGB as long as it's easy to follow along with where everything goes.

I'm also not totally sold on these AIO so case must also have the height if I want to fall back to old faithful (Noctua).

Thanks

Permabanned
Despite all the differences most cases are basically the same thing. The build will be much the same. RGB often just plugs into the motherboard so you can control the colours. Find one you like at the size you want with decent reviews and can't really go wrong.

Soldato
Had the HAF X case for far too long now. It's time for a change to something much smaller and easier to move. Also upgrading to X570/5950x.

The case will eventually have a 3080 or higher so good airflow is needed. I've tried to look at recommended cases and ones like the Lian Li 215 come up. Don't get me wrong it looks ok but when I watched some guys build video he was talking about addressable rgb headers I was just lost. Another was a Lancool II and it had some fan hub which totally lost me again.

I then came across Lian Li 11D case which seems to be very popular. I lost interest when he was installing the 12th fan. Is this case for aesthetics or actually to get better temps?

Can anyone recommend a case that has a detailed accompanying build video to help me? Must have good airflow as discussed previously and if possible stick to stock. Not against RGB as long as it's easy to follow along with where everything goes.

I'm also not totally sold on these AIO so case must also have the height if I want to fall back to old faithful (Noctua).

Thanks

Get the Phanteks P600S, simply an awesome case. Loads of youtube builds.

I can't get over just how good it is. It has looks, capacity, silence and/or airflow.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for your input. I do think I have narrowed it down to the Corsair 4000D Airflow or the Fractal Torrent (P600S doesn't appeal to me). Some questions though.

1: The 4000D naming conventions. I just want the Airflow right (the one intake and one exhaust)? The 4000X has 3 front fans but this is worse since it's not mesh right? Why wouldn't they just sell a 4000 3 fan RGB airflow with a mesh panel?
2: @mickyflinn I looked at the Corsair site and it only supports a 240 AIO at the top. Your idea is to take the front fan off and stick the AIO in there? Won't that just feed the GPU hot air now?

Apparently it will fit a 280 at the top with low profile memory but I want G. Skill's Neo so need to see how that fits.

3: Fractal Torrent. Watched here (timestamped): https://youtu.be/E7nchcN2DeQ?t=279

Is this 3 fan and 2 fan splitter included or separate purchase? So I just connect 3 fans to the splitter and the other end to a motherboard fan header? Repeat for the 2 fans?

Thanks again

Man of Honour
@GregI

4000d and the 4000d airflow are the same case except for the vented panels and 4000d fits a 280mm rad at the top. Overclockers has the listing for the airflow and states 280mm compatable.

Although the arctic freezer maybe to thick to fit at the top .

Top rad support 240mm and 280mm dependent in ram height front does 240mm, 280mm and 360mm.

Yes aio at the front will increase case temps slightly compared to having it at the top but your getting cold air direct on the rad to cool the cpu. It's a slight trade off.

Thread here where guy fits corsair 280mm at the top.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ow-280mm-aio-and-low-profile-memory.18922063/

Associate
OP
@mickyflinn Sorry to bother you again but I need to know if I'm stupid or not.

I can't help but think it ends up being slightly better if I get the 4000X (with included triple rgb front fans at £98) and then swap out the glass front panel with the mesh front panel accessory for £4.99 at Corsair site. 4000D airflow is £90.

Also considering the 5000 series and doing the same thing. 5000D Airflow 2 fan (£140) vs 5000X 3 fan RGB (£160) + £15 Front mesh.

Man of Honour

I can't help but think it ends up being slightly better if I get the 4000X (with included triple rgb front fans at £98) and then swap out the glass front panel with the mesh front panel accessory for £4.99 at Corsair site. 4000D airflow is £90.

Also considering the 5000 series and doing the same thing. 5000D Airflow 2 fan (£140) vs 5000X 3 fan RGB (£160) + £15 Front mesh.

No problem I enjoy helping.

If you want the rgb then go for it whichever case you want but if you go for the 5000x you will have more aio cooling options. But remember you wanted to downsize.

Decide which cooler and size you want then lean towards which suits your needs but you want to try to match rgb fans otherwise it can look odd.

Are you ruling out front mounted aio ?

If your not rullling out front mounting heres one example, case has excellent airflow , rgb fans move to the top and matching aio cooler.

Black is available.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £249.24 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Nor

Nor

Associate
I got a Phanteks P500A RGB in white last week and really like it. The 3x140mm RGB fans (in mine anyway) were PVM (read some stuff on them initially coming out factory non-PVM, but they changed it to PVM. Really well made case, so easy to work in. I moved my PC out of a NZXT 510 to this and it was night and day in terms of room and ease to work in. Well worth throwing into the mix for consideration.

Associate

I got the 5000x a few weeks ago. My only real gripe is i have two large mechanical drive. Trying to fit that and the psu is horrible. Overall it is a excellant case. I would have liked to keep all 140mm fans though. I maybe should have went for the 7000 or the meshify 2xl which i was looking at.

Associate
OP
@mickyflinn Update. Got the 4000D Airflow (Black). No RGB! (Besides my G. SKill Neo and the small EVGA logo but it sets the build off nicely).

Only issue I ran into was I had a lot of people say to build on the board outside the case so you can get to everything easier. This is well and good but what they don't tell you is the almost impossible nature of having to then screw the top screws in to the motherboard standoffs and attach the CPU 8 pin. Granted the size of the Noctua NH-D15S cooler didn't help this and would have been much easier with a smaller cooler (or a non issue with an AIO) but that was the only real problem. Was honestly so close to ordering the 5000D Airflow as I literally couldn't get the 8 pin in with how big my hands are. Got so lucky with the screw aswell. If I didn't happen to have an extra long screwdriver to get past the top of the case I wouldn't have been able to screw it in either.

Man of Honour
@mickyflinn Update. Got the 4000D Airflow (Black). No RGB! (Besides my G. SKill Neo and the small EVGA logo but it sets the build off nicely).

Only issue I ran into was I had a lot of people say to build on the board outside the case so you can get to everything easier. This is well and good but what they don't tell you is the almost impossible nature of having to then screw the top screws in to the motherboard standoffs and attach the CPU 8 pin. Granted the size of the Noctua NH-D15S cooler didn't help this and would have been much easier with a smaller cooler (or a non issue with an AIO) but that was the only real problem. Was honestly so close to ordering the 5000D Airflow as I literally couldn't get the 8 pin in with how big my hands are. Got so lucky with the screw aswell. If I didn't happen to have an extra long screwdriver to get past the top of the case I wouldn't have been able to screw it in either.
There's always some niggles but big hands don't help inside a case.

Are you pleased with the final result ?

Associate
OP
Are you pleased with the final result ?

Yeah for sure. I even got some of Corsair's premium paracord type cables to finish it off.

I was super worried about the parts having issues but thankfully everything turned on and worked. Benchmarks are what they should be and thankfully no issues running cinebench for stability. Also seemed to get an insanely good cooler mount. This 16 core beast isn't going above 70c multi core in cinebench and idle temps under 30c!

Back
Top Bottom