Can't download El Capitan for older system

Soldato
As title, I am trying to download El Capitan for a 2007 imac - the mac itself won't download it - no idea why, but then its hard drive is on the verge of failing........

I am then trying to download it with my MacOS Serra macbook air - i had to hunt google to find a direct link to apple store for El Capitan :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (there are not enough eye rolls in the world)

Now that won't download saying this mac is 'to new' - WHO CARES, don't apple know that sometimes people just want to download the sodding file to restore old systems?!?!

I am trying to install it on the old imac as the hard drive is being changed, MacOS Serra won't go on this system as its to old - HELP? I just want the DMG file then I can make a USB installer :mad:

Soldato
OP
Feek Kindly Sent me the install files which was great, now im having a complete nightmare and cannot get it to install ANY OS!! :(

I created a USB boot drive with el capitan on - all created properly using the install image - i took the old hard drive out the pc - put the new one in

Obviously its blank - but nope, wont boot with the usb drive - tried my time machine disk - it 'sees' it on boot but just sits on the apple logo for several hours, what the hell i thought it would work, why the hell doesnt the system see the USB boot drive?! UGGGH this is doing my head in, I read it would work

2007 20" imac Core 2, 4gb ram

Soldato
OP
hmm just boots into osx - the system IS SEEING the new internal drive, the USB drive also, i rebooted, held option - in the system i have the origional system disk on usb 1, usb 2 is the time machine back up external disk - usb 3 is keyboard and mouse and usb install drive

on holding option i get:

osx
osx recovery
time machine

Selecting either osx recovery or time machine results in the machine just sitting there on the apple logo forever

Osx boots into the old osx off the usb drive its now in - when it booted in i formatted the new internal drive as GUID etc etc osx journled etc whatever it is default while i was there.

Seems to make no difference, how the hell can i install this or restore the back up to the new internal drive! uggh

Soldato
OP
correction after running time machine for ages it just booted back into osx and seems to have done nowt :(

EDIT: Booted back into old osx off the external caddy its now in - in disk utility its 100% seeing ALL drives:

old osx on usb now
new internal drive
usb external drive with time machine back up on
USB thumb drive with supposed intstall files on that the system wont see if you hold option when you boot (In USB osx boot - i can see a folder called 'packages' on the drive and that is all - is that correct?

HELP - how can i get my system to install to the new internal drive and restore from time machine? Google the hell out of it - apparently it should just work from the usb or time machine drive

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

To be fair to Apple, I bought a used Mac mini recently and swapped out the spinning disk for an SSD, and had none of the above troubles. You need a wired keyboard (wireless doesn't work) to hold down the option key while booting. I booted off the USB key, erased the new drive, and installed Sierra in about 30 minutes start to finish.

And it was the first time I had interacted with an Apple device at this level in more than 20 years, so I was googling everything.

Soldato
OP
To be fair to Apple, I bought a used Mac mini recently and swapped out the spinning disk for an SSD, and had none of the above troubles. You need a wired keyboard (wireless doesn't work) to hold down the option key while booting. I booted off the USB key, erased the new drive, and installed Sierra in about 30 minutes start to finish.

And it was the first time I had interacted with an Apple device at this level in more than 20 years, so I was googling everything.

Glad to hear yours worked as designed........ yeah obviously it was a wired keyboard - however unlike your personal experience.....it doesn't always go to plan.

Also I can't install Sierra on this imac, it's too old, anyways I got it sorted in the end....

Back
Top Bottom