• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can't get MSI RX480 out of PCIE slot

Soldato
Having PC issues and it won't boot, only in safe mode with networking. I've tried quite a few things but I want to rule out the graphics card but I can't get it out!

It's a large MSI 480 graphics card with the big cooler on it, think it's a Gaming X 8gb. It's attached to a Gigabyte Z87-D3HP in the top PCIE slot. This motherboard has a heatsink quite near the end of PCIE slot which makes things a little more cramped. With the size of the graphics cooler I can't get to the clip to release the card from the PCIE, it's literally impossible to get my finger underneath to flip the clip.

Any ideas? I'm sure many of you have had simlar issues with big coolers?

Soldato
OP
Going to have to try something, just worried of popping something off as I'd be doing it blind. It's so tight can't see anything :(

I have managed to clear the AMD drivers in safe mode and then the PC has booted up using the Intel HD Graphics, so at least I know it's the Graphics card itself or the drivers causing the problem.

Man of Honour
I ripped half a pcie slot out of my X58 board when trying to remove a GTX 580. Slot still sort of works :p
I did the same to my X79 motherboard with a previous GPU. Luckily the board still works and the GPU works fine in other two full sized slots.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Or if you have kids, one of those Lego brick splitter tools.

I used a flat head screwdriver myself. Carefully.

Soldato
Having PC issues and it won't boot, only in safe mode with networking. I've tried quite a few things but I want to rule out the graphics card but I can't get it out!

It's a large MSI 480 graphics card with the big cooler on it, think it's a Gaming X 8gb. It's attached to a Gigabyte Z87-D3HP in the top PCIE slot. This motherboard has a heatsink quite near the end of PCIE slot which makes things a little more cramped. With the size of the graphics cooler I can't get to the clip to release the card from the PCIE, it's literally impossible to get my finger underneath to flip the clip.

Any ideas? I'm sure many of you have had simlar issues with big coolers?

Yeah I had similar issue with MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X last year I would not reached the clip to released the card from front because of 42mm thickness, I had no issue with old MSI GTX 970 Gaming's 35mm thickness and very lighter 845g card. I remembered struggled pushed the clip to released MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X from back of the card due to extra weight for 10 mins and thought maybe I am doing it wrong way so I went to other PCI Express x16 slot to tested my fingers on clip to closed and released it until I get better idea figure out how to do it properly then I returned to the back of card and I used my thumb finger to find the clip and pushed it hard and the clip released the card. After learned how to released 42mm thickness and 1KG weight MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X card, I did the same way with MSI GTX 2080 Gaming X Trio's massive 55.6mm thickness and very heavy 1.5KG card removed and reinstalled few times that I am no longer had issue with it. :)

Back
Top Bottom