• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can't install ATI drivers on my new Vaio?

Associate
What the hell? Keep downloading the latest drivers but it tells me they can't be installed as my 'graphics adapter is not supported'.

I'm running Win7 64 bit and have a Radeon Mobility 5650 GPU in it (Sony Vaio VPCEC1S1E)

Anyone?

Associate
Try the Sony support site. I'm a bit out of touch with laptops but a few years ago it was up to the manufacturer, not ATI to provide driver updates.

I ended up using 3rd party drivers as Acer refused to update the drivers for my x1300 in the 3 years I had it.

Associate
Sony rarely, if ever release updated drivers and generally only support the OS that came with the laptop. I've tried several ways to mod / force the new Cats on Win 7 to no avail. Windows will install a driver through update but it's pretty old (the 9.8 legacy I think). I didn't use the factory installed build as it came bundled with an unbelievable amount of crapware including Symantec pop-up banner ads that couldn't be removed. Seems to run OK though and will even cope with games. It's primarily for work so not too bothered but a poor show from ATI whoring themselves to certain manufacturers.

Associate
OP
Oh bloody hell! So basically I can't update the graphic card drivers then?

Had a look at the (crappy) Sony site and any search relating to ATI/Radeon results in precisely zero matches.

Soldato
Is there a way to manually search through the site (instead of searching for ATI etc).

I have found this before with support sites, searching for a specific driver yeilded no results, yet trawling through the menus got me to the driver I wanted.

Associate
What I mean is ATI are bending over to the silly demands of these manufacturers presumably in return for having their hardware used. Think it's bad that a core component such as the display drivers is blocked from being updated.

Associate
Well whoever is to blame, it leaves many laptop owners in the graphics dark ages or having to deal with bloated factory installs. From link above it seems Mobility Modder now supports most of the newer cards in Win 7. Probably worth a try. Anyone recommend a particular version of the new Cats?

Back
Top Bottom