Can't make up my mind on whether I want a MBP 16"

Soldato
First of all I haven't owned a Mac since 2006 or so and I've been looking into laptops because I really need a new one. Initially I was thinking of getting a Lenovo Thinkpad because they have good support for Linux which is my primary OS on my desktop machine. But after borrowing my Mums MacBook Air while I am in hospital I'm highly tempted to get a MBP 16". I still like Macs and the software just feels nicer to use.

My main use for it would be content creation so music production and Adobe Creative Cloud.

I'm looking for some balanced options on whether I should stick to a Lenovo Thinkpad or whether a MBP 16" would really offer me more in terms of usability. Gaming laptops are out as they have rubbish battery life while the Macs seem to have pretty good battery life.

Soldato
I love my 16 which I bought at the start of 2020. I have so far resisted the urge to ‘upgrade’ to one of the M1 MacBooks.
While it is apparent that the M1 MacBooks offer much better value for money in terms of performance my 16 still handles everything I throw at it with ease. Yes the fans spin up regularly but it’s still a heck of a lot quieter than my Windows desktop and is much much quicker. The 16 also has the best screen and speakers I have ever used in a laptop.
That being said if I was going out to buy now, I in all honesty couldn’t recommend a 16 unless you are able to pick up a refurb or a customer return from Amazon for example for a good reduction.
If you intend to buy new then you’d be mad to not at least wait and see what the Apple silicon 16 refresh has to offer next month (if rumours are to be believed).

All in all the Intel macs get a bad rap because the M1 models are so good but the intel ones are still superb performers and still beat anything offered on the Windows side.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone. I guess I can wait in that case. But even using this Intel MacBook Air feels pretty fast for basic day to day stuff so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Pro model compares with the new Apple chips.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wait. The M1 macbook pro I have is nothing short of amazing performance and battery wise and the next generation will be way better than these. I couldn't go back to even the top of the line 16" MBP from this 13".

Soldato
OP
I went the other way, run a load of things in virtualisation for which Apple Silicon isn't much good. So when my 15" rMBP started giving issues I grabbed a 16" earlier in the year.

I use my desktop for virtualisation stuff. The MBP 16" will be for Logic Pro and Adobe Creative Cloud mainly.

Soldato
I’ve just recently bought Photoshop and it runs so much quicker on my M1 MBA than on the 2017 iMac. I’m not surprised by that but it doesn’t feel right :D

I'm not on Apple hardware ATM. Is there a central app store I can view on the web with prices?

Back
Top Bottom