Can't pay a speeding fine. Can't get through.

Man of Honour
Received a fine in the post I was attempting to save myself £100 and 3 points by taking the course, but being up here in Scotland, I was informed I would have to travel to where the fine was issued, which is down south. It would end up costing me more to find accommodation and petrol. So I need to pay the fine. Only the "system" in place wont let me. 0

I've got a number to ring, and I can't get through. I've tried 15 times today; I get through to an automatic message saying "due to unprecedented demand fining people nobody can be bothered to answer the phone". I can't pay the fine online - it says it wont let me (presumably because I requested the course instead), and its the same for the automated phone line payment system. So I've emailed, and they say "due to unprecedented demand" emails are taking ages to answer. I've got about 9 days to play with here. I don't know how to pay the fine, and I don't know where to send my license. It's just crazy. For what it's worth I was doing 61mph in the usual 70mph lane, however the few seconds I was on this road, it was a temporary 50mph. It was literally a fly by - it's so frustrating.

Man of Honour
OP
He says he can't because he originally chose the course but has now changed his mind. But the payment offer has been withdrawn.

Not quite as simple as me just changing my mind. The fine was In Warwickshire which is nearly 360 miles from me. I thought originally they were doing the courses online, but they are only doing them face to face. I only discovered this AFTER I had requested to do the course online.

Soldato
Man I feel for you, sounds like absolute ********.

I'd say send emails, log phones call, times etc, maybe phone on your mobile phone, take screenshots of the outbound calls etc. Take a screenshot of the online payment thing not letting you pay.

Basically build up enough evidence so if the **** hits the fan you can prove beyond all reasonable doubt you tried your damn best to pay the fine.

Associate
Have you checked whether you can do your speed awareness course online? I did mine two weeks ago and they are still being offered online and I could book it through any provider in the UK.

You only need to book it no later than 28 days after you receive the offer, you then have 120 days to actually do it.

Check on their portal using the reference/pin you should have received - https://offer.ndors.org.uk

Just dont go. What is the worst that can happen?

Per the NIP I received, if you book onto a course then don't attend you will either receive £100 + 3 points or be summoned to court - which one is at the discretion of the ticketing office.

Soldato
Per the NIP I received, if you book onto a course then don't attend you will either receive £100 + 3 points or be summoned to court - which one is at the discretion of the ticketing office.
Which is what the OP wants to happen.

The people that handle courts and fines know what the situation is. They might ask why they didnt get in touch but as was said an email has been sent.

Soldato
Well, I may have to resort to something like that. Even though I don't own a chequebook anymore.

They're about the only thing that still uses them I paid a parking fine via a cheque thats the first time I used one in at least 5 years. Its either that or phone the hotline but thats even worse trying to get through to anyone on the council hotline is like prospecting for gold

n.b. building societies will write out a cheque if you ask over the counter for the amount from your account I guess banks would do the same

Last edited:
Soldato
Or maybe play the long game, evidence it all, and allow yourself to be summoned to court.

Present your evidence and watch the case get thrown out post haste (probably even pre-hearing). You can insist on it being a local court that hears your case, rather than having to drive across the country, for obvious reasons.

Soldato
Log everything, send emails, make phone calls.

Then let it go to court and present your evidence.

It would be interesting to see what case would be against you, the original speeding offense or nonpayment of the fine.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for all the advice chaps. I've no problem in actually paying the fine. I did get caught speeding after all, even though I feel it is unfair due to the temporary limit which I didn't know about. But such is life. But not being able to get through to anybody, or to even pay online is crazy this day and age. I'll follow the advice above about seeing if I can do the course online, but the letter I received offered me two face to face places in England, several hundred miles from me. There was no mention of online courses.

Back
Top Bottom