• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cant post with MSI 1080 gaming X 8G

Soldato
Hey guys,

I have made myself a new build which I'm quite proud of but recently i have ran into a major issue which has been frustrating. My system will not boot when the MSI 1080 gaming X 8G is present! This happened abruptly when I was playing Overwatch.

Here is the specs for the build:

Intel i7 6800K Broadwell Extreme
Corsair Hydro H115i CPU Cooler
Asus X99-A II Motherboard
MSI 1080 gaming X 8G
Corsair Dominator 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
Corsair 900D
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Antec hcg-900 900W PSU.

I tried to power the system back up but it doesn't even boot, i don't get any code on the motherboard. The motherboard led's are on but when i press the power button the MSI logo on the graphics card just flashes once with the corsair logo on the cpu cooler.

But when i replaced the MSI graphics card with the ASUS AMD 6950 the system booted up just fine. But when I powered the system without the pci-e cables to the 1080 the system posted, obviously i get an error message saying i need to plug the power cables in the card but i got a hunch that the 1080 might be pulling too much power?

I have an Antec HCG-900 900W PSU which i think is suitable enough to run the MSI graphics card.

I'm thinking it could be the power supply unit? This card was working fine the past few days with this build, its just strange why this could happen.

Would be great if you guys could help me out! Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
From what you've said it does sound like the powersupply but it might be worth checking that your on the latest motherboard bios then clearing the cmos.

Soldato
OP
From what you've said it does sound like the powersupply but it might be worth checking that your on the latest motherboard bios then clearing the cmos.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS, i.e. pulling out the BIOS battery for a minute or shorting the jumper?

I did reset the cmos and the mobo bios version is the latest: 0801. I haven't tried to shorten the jumper but i did pull out the cmos battery, I will try that now.

Could be the psu or faulty gpu try the 1080 in another system if you can. Also mite be worth trying the 1080 in another pcie slot , bit of a long shot as the 6950 works when put back.

Guess you have the latest bios cus you have the 6800k.

Just checked latest bios version is now 0801.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/X99-A-II/HelpDesk_Download/

The 1080 was working fine in my old build which is in the sig below. Whats the best way to check if its definitely the psu? I have already tried the other pcie slots, but still no luck. My bios version is 0801.

Man of Honour
What concerns me is that your pc will boot with your 6950 and not your new gpu making me think your 1080 is faulty.

Have you tried diffrent pci cables ?

Run your system with the 6950 at full settings.

Soldato
OP
What concerns me is that your pc will boot with your 6950 and not your new gpu making me think your 1080 is faulty.

Have you tried diffrent pci cables ?

Run your system with the 6950 at full settings.

I have indeed tried different pcie cables but the problem still persists, I just remembered I have my old motherboard which i think i can run a test off. If my old system wont boot on the 1080, then I'll call for a RMA.

Soldato

Agree :)

Whilst there could be an issue with the PSU it is not because of it being poor...! If anything it is a good PSU and provides much more than needed.

OP - I have had similar issues where cards can be slot compatible but not work in certain boards. I have seen two separate people mentioning that their Palit 1070's will not POST when fitted but their older cards will. I'm not sure of their resolution as I did not follow the thread.

For you it might be different as it did work when first fitted. It gives the impression that the BIOS on the card might be corrupt - as you note you get a brief MSI logo.

A pity that the card can#t be tested in another system.

Best of luck though.

Permabanned
My understanding is Antec do PSU's of the highest quality, I do think it may be the issue though and not the bio's as being mentioned or else it would not of been working in the first place, It could be a pcie slot issue, Is there another psu to try it with?

Associate
Hey guys,

I have made myself a new build which I'm quite proud of but recently i have ran into a major issue which has been frustrating. My system will not boot when the MSI 1080 gaming X 8G is present! This happened abruptly when I was playing Overwatch.

Here is the specs for the build:

Intel i7 6800K Broadwell Extreme
Corsair Hydro H115i CPU Cooler
Asus X99-A II Motherboard
MSI 1080 gaming X 8G
Corsair Dominator 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
Corsair 900D
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Antec hcg-900 900W PSU.

I tried to power the system back up but it doesn't even boot, i don't get any code on the motherboard. The motherboard led's are on but when i press the power button the MSI logo on the graphics card just flashes once with the corsair logo on the cpu cooler.

But when i replaced the MSI graphics card with the ASUS AMD 6950 the system booted up just fine. But when I powered the system without the pci-e cables to the 1080 the system posted, obviously i get an error message saying i need to plug the power cables in the card but i got a hunch that the 1080 might be pulling too much power?

I have an Antec HCG-900 900W PSU which i think is suitable enough to run the MSI graphics card.

I'm thinking it could be the power supply unit? This card was working fine the past few days with this build, its just strange why this could happen.

Would be great if you guys could help me out! Thanks!

I had the same experience in your situation and diagnosed that the psu was at fault due to age of components even though it work with your older generation graphic card.

Ps.......My psu was a 1000W but it doesn't mean it's a 1000w in the next few years.

Good luck.

Caporegime
PSU can go wrong. I had a decent brand one which was 900W and my computer would run fine but with my new gfx card it bombed out.

Checked by using a cheap nasty 750W and the new card worked fine.

Annoying but obviously something had gone wrong at high drain with the PSU.

Was replaced under warranty with a newer better model.

Soldato
OP
Agree :)

Whilst there could be an issue with the PSU it is not because of it being poor...! If anything it is a good PSU and provides much more than needed.

OP - I have had similar issues where cards can be slot compatible but not work in certain boards. I have seen two separate people mentioning that their Palit 1070's will not POST when fitted but their older cards will. I'm not sure of their resolution as I did not follow the thread.

For you it might be different as it did work when first fitted. It gives the impression that the BIOS on the card might be corrupt - as you note you get a brief MSI logo.

A pity that the card can#t be tested in another system.

Best of luck though.

My understanding is Antec do PSU's of the highest quality, I do think it may be the issue though and not the bio's as being mentioned or else it would not of been working in the first place, It could be a pcie slot issue, Is there another psu to try it with?

I had the same experience in your situation and diagnosed that the psu was at fault due to age of components even though it work with your older generation graphic card.

Ps.......My psu was a 1000W but it doesn't mean it's a 1000w in the next few years.

Good luck.

PSU can go wrong. I had a decent brand one which was 900W and my computer would run fine but with my new gfx card it bombed out.

Checked by using a cheap nasty 750W and the new card worked fine.

Annoying but obviously something had gone wrong at high drain with the PSU.

Was replaced under warranty with a newer better model.

Thank you so much for replying guys, i really do appreciate the support here!!!

Hmm, i did OC the graphics card so maybe its just using too much power ? o.0 but it was a small OC, not big.

Also I have managed to grab hold of another motherboard! and the issue still persists, I'm still using the same PSU though, So we can now rule out the motherboard being faulty. I cant grab another PSU unless i purchase one.

If i do purchase another psu would you guys recommend the Corsair AX860i?

edit:

guys I purchased the antec 900w psu on 10th March 2011, you think it had its time after all these years?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Could have. Things can go wrong at any time. Like I said mine was fine with my old card, new card was no go.

Hmm alright, my ax860i has been ordered and should be arriving tomorrow. I really hope it's just the psu.

Are you overclocked? Tried restoring factory defaults?

I don't think I can even restore the defaults as my system won't even start, I can't find any bios profile switches on my card either.

Caporegime
Just a thought - I recently changed a 580 SLI setup to a single 780ti,in my rush to install it I found it wouldn't post when I mixed my power connectors i.e. using one connector from each of the old 580's which had paired connectors, labelled white and yellow (separate rails I guess) once I'd paired the connectors properly it works just fine.....

Back
Top Bottom