• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cant post with MSI 1080 gaming X 8G

Soldato
I had an ax860i as an RMA replacement recently, there is only one annoying thing with it, which a lot of people seemed to report on the cor air forums.

During the recent hot weather the ambient PSU tempt got to about 42C but the fan would on and off spin up and down it spins up for a second and spins back down to 0. This would happen every 15 seconds.

When the cooler weather arrived and ambient tempos dropped this behaviour stopped and it goes from being off most of the time to coming on normally if the PSU temp climbs due to load, once it cools, the fan turns off again. So it's when ambient temps put the PSU in the 40s under no load when the fan issue occurs.

Just a heads up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know if this has been tried or mentioned but have you checked to see if there is a Bios update for your motherboard?

Soldato
OP
Well guys the 1080 has actually blown :( The new psu arrived today and the msi card caught fire, it sizzled like a fried egg! I tried the psu with the 6950 and it booted perfectly, motherboard was fine, psu was fine, 1080 got rekt. Sending it off for RMA now :(

At least i got a brand new shiny PSU!

Thank you for everyone replying to this thread, your help has been much appreciated!

Soldato
Overclocking it by a small amount won't kill it, a 1080GTX will boost on it's own. Just are just unlucky and got a defective card. There should be no mention of you overclocking it -> "you put 10mhz on core clock, we no take back!" :p It just set on fire dude :)

Associate
The card obviously had an inherent manufacturing fault if it caught fire!. Obviously don't mention that you OC'd it when you RMA it.

Back
Top Bottom