Can't power graphics card.

Associate
Hi, I have recently bought a new Palit 2070 super jetstream from this site and installed it into my build replacing a gtx 780.
I noticed that it is powered by two eight pin connectors but that should have been ok as I already had one six to eight pin adapter connected and powering the 780 and another adapter came with the card.

However when I connect everything up I get the message 'Please power down and connect the PCIe power cables for this graphics card'.

My power supply is an Coolmaster 700w product No RS-700-ASAA-A1.

One thing of interest is that when I try to use the eight pin adapter supplied with the new card to power the old card I get the same message.

My initial thoughts are that the adapter supplied with the 2070s could be at fault here although it did pass a continuity test last night with my multi meter.

Should I just buy a new adapter or will I need a new PSU?

Any ideas?

thanks.

Man of Honour
How long have you had the Coolermaster Realpower Pro M 700w and was it new when you bought it? The reason I ask is because that series launched in 2007 so your psu is potentially 12 years old now. I certainly wouldn't be using a psu that old on a £500 gpu. Why are you using a pair of adaptors when your psu should have a pair of 8 pin and a pair of 6 pin pci-e connectors? By all means use a adaptor on the 6 pin plugs to power one of the sockets but use the actual 8 pin pcie lead on the other socket as this should power the card from a pair of 12v rails. Personally though I wouldn't even be using a psu that old and would be replacing it with a modern unit.

Associate
OP
How long have you had the Coolermaster Realpower Pro M 700w and was it new when you bought it? The reason I ask is because that series launched in 2007 so your psu is potentially 12 years old now. I certainly wouldn't be using a psu that old on a £500 gpu. Why are you using a pair of adaptors when your psu should have a pair of 8 pin and a pair of 6 pin pci-e connectors? By all means use a adaptor on the 6 pin plugs to power one of the sockets but use the actual 8 pin pcie lead on the other socket as this should power the card from a pair of 12v rails. Personally though I wouldn't even be using a psu that old and would be replacing it with a modern unit.

Hi and thanks for your answer,
I bought the PSU in 2013 with the rest of the system pretty much. There are no eight pin outlets on it just two six pin ones. But ok I get your point about an old power supply so can you recommend a replacement bearing in mind this is going to be my second rig as I'm planning a new build soon which does actually include this card. I dont want to splash to much cash just to get this card to work in my old system but at the same time I want to play with it over Christmas.

Man of Honour
What are the rest of the components such as cpu, motherboard etc. There are some cracking deals on Superflower and Corsair psu's on here at the moment.

Every review I checked of your psu stated it had 2x 6 pin and 2x 8 pin pci-e plugs. It would be most unusual for a 700w psu to only have a pair of 6 pin plugs. Are you sure you don't have any more leads in the box?

Associate
OP
Definitely only two six pin connectors outlined in green and labeled PCIe. I cant find any pics on the net or I would link. There must be different versions. I've built about five systems over the years and have a rough idea of these things.
I'm satisfied that the power supply has got to be changed as I now have the old card back in an working fine with the new adapter so it's not that. It's either the power ore the card.
My CPU is an intel i53750 @ 4.2ghz and my mobo is ASUS P8Z77 - V LX.
Be great if you could recommend a power supply.

Thanks for your efforts

Soldato
That PSU came with two 8 pin PCIe power cables.
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...master_real_power_pro_m700_700w_modular_psu/1
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...master_real_power_pro_m700_700w_modular_psu/3

And that was outdated low end PSU already decade ago.
Now it's from time of Hadrian's Wall.
And should have certainly been the first thing to replace instead of buying expensive graphics card.
Which doesn't have any long lasting value and can't really do raytracing and in year might be matched by cards half the price.
What marketing "forgot" to tell is that RTXes suffer 30-50% performance drop from use of raytracing.

750W is unnecessary much, but this discount is very good.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020187-uk-ca-252-cs.html

Also "only" 12 year warranty Seasonic 80+ Platinum is in good discount.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-06k-ss.html
You can also get cables from Seasonic's support at very reasonable price if you lose them:
Seasonic PSU - Require additional SATA power cables

Associate
OP
Thanks EsaT but that's not my power unit. I wish I could send a picture. I realize that the card is not a great ray tracer but I don't care as I want it for VR Iracing and I'm sick of waiting for the next best thing. I know AMD are better bang for buck but my next build will be around the 3700x so they will get a bit of my money.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom