Can't run DOCP no more... 2700X

Associate
As per title really. Popped into BIOS as I'd moved some fans about, and noticed I was running at 2400MHz RAM speed, not the 2933 I thought I had been. (No chance of the rated 3200 with four sticks, 2933 was as good as it got).
So I reset for 2933, no joy. Tried the DRAM Calc values entered manually, no joy.
Took 2 sticks out, and on the third attempt, I have 2933, but now only 16GB. I used to run 3200 with fast timings on 2 sticks, looks like those days are gone.

Can't get all four sticks to boot at anything over 2400MHz now.

Nothing has changed, running latest-bar-one BIOS, as that's for the new 5000 CPUs, it's been running fine for months so I don't think it's a BIOS issue.

Has anyone else had similar? Starting to thing it might be grab-a-secondhand-3000 series time... have I baked my chip?

Last edited:
Soldato
Are your voltages the same / still correct?

I used to have the same motherboard with a 2600X albeit with x2 DDR4 3200Mhz memory DIMMS which I could run slightly quicker at around 3400ish. So it's odd you can't get x4 DIMMS to run even at 2933Mhz.

If you were to save your settings into a profile, and then load optimised defaults and have everything back to stock, does it boot with the x4 DIMMS?

EDIT: Usually no POST is voltage or procODT.

Soldato
Yes. Nothing changed.
I'm very familiar with BIOS and all the relevant settings, and nothing is amiss at all.
2933 with 2 sticks is as high as I can go now, and even that's with safe timings.
Rolled back to a prior BIOS last night and no difference...

OK it was just that when you said you thought it was at 2933 but actually wasn't I thought I best check as perhaps the voltages were also not set to what you thought. If that makes sense. Just wanted to double check.

Associate
OP
It's a mystery. Well, kind of- I can only think the SoC/memory controller is getting wobbly.

Started off with 4 sticks at 3200 fast, then had to drop to safe, and it's just got progressively worse over time.

Unsure when it set itself to defaults, but something has gone a bit sideways :(

Associate
OP
To be honest, it still does what I want perfectly well enough for now, even at 2400MHz. All the games I play run fine, and I don't use the rig for any work purposes.

I'll keep the RAM and lob a new CPU in instead :D
It's b-die 8pack stuff, and it should clock higher than 3200 if the chip can handle it.

Soldato
To be honest, it still does what I want perfectly well enough for now, even at 2400MHz. All the games I play run fine, and I don't use the rig for any work purposes.

I'll keep the RAM and lob a new CPU in instead :D
It's b-die 8pack stuff, and it should clock higher than 3200 if the chip can handle it.

Sounds good! Fingers crossed. :)

Back
Top Bottom