Can't seem to give other rj45's internet?

Associate
Hey there! Completely noob to this stuff. A friend of mine who recently moved into an office wants to allow other rj45's in the office to work for broadband however when I go and follow diagrams online about how to connect it all up, the rj45 ports in the office do not work :O

Here is my setup:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1qrh9Rnq97nGXgxYAICmzbZGWl35yA7io

Any ideas would be much appreciated! :)

Soldato
All those ports on the wall will run back to a patch panel likely, which is what you need to connect into the router/switch you have, so they all have internet. So if there's 8 ports in the office for example, there will be a cabinet or cable exit somewhere you need to look for - for those ports to be patched into a switch/router with internet.

You can't just plug a cable from switch/router into the wall like you have, as that is just going to the end of line (i.e. the patch panel) which does nothing.

So in short, you need to trace those ports/cables back to where they are being run from.

Associate
OP
In this office there is 20 RJ45 wall connectors but no patch panel or none that I can see. I've added some more photos of different areas within the office.

Thank you for the message!

Caporegime
What clown has run patch cables in the trunking with mains cables? Get a proper cabling contractor in to sort that out.

As above, the cables in the wall go somewhere, you need to find where.

Soldato
Is this a serviced office? If so, are tenants required to "pay per port" (i've seen this a few times and the runs are "theirs" essentially)?
How are they connecting to the internet as is; via ethernet or WiFi?
And do you know where the WAN/internet/phone socket (if using ADSL) is to connect to a router?

As others have said though, there will be a a patch panel somewhere (typically housed in a comms cabinet/box) that all the runs go back to and typically the "internet" port will be near it - if it's not within the office itself then it could be "outside" in storage/utility/comms cupboards, basement, attic space etc.
Sometimes the area can be shown on floorplans, although if it's a serviced building then just ask building management/staff.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm presuming this is a shared/serviced office? If so, ask your friend to speak with the IT tech/team, office manager or whoever oversees the building...

He needs to find out the process to setup or the location of the patch panel, there will 100% be one somewhere if he has 20 ports in the office. Then you can patch your internet into it.

The extra photo you added of the wall panels aren't anything useful. The Eaton Memshield one to the left is the power/fuse box unit. The Essential box in the middle is the fire/security alarm. Last one I can't make out, but I highly doubt it's got 20 cable runs and a patch panel inside it.

Back
Top Bottom