• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cant tell if my 9800gt works

Permabanned
I've put in my 6670 now so not going to retest the GeForce just yet, but as I mentioned before it powers up and runs as I can see fan spinning but no visual, I did test it just before the Radeon and still nothing.

I picked up some various used ram for what I needed and in it was a 2gb ddr2 6400 stick and when I put that in with a single 1gb stick it's not picked up by system just the 1gb so then I tried the 2gb on its on and just one long beep, didn't wait to see what beeps if any after it, so looked online and read it could be video related or ram related, but take the gpu out and still same sound, but never got any sounds when the gpu was in with other ram??

So I'm in a confused mind as to how the hell do I know if it works if it doesn't beep, doesn't show up on system nor can I install drivers as no nvidia detected...

Anyone got any suggestions? The lad who sold me the psu gave me what looks like a brand new molex to 6 pin adapter so I could try that but surely the standard 6 pin shouldn't be having any power issues, everywhere I read the 9800 requires 400w my psu puts at 360w on +12v.

Associate
I picked up some various used ram for what I needed and in it was a 2gb ddr2 6400 stick and when I put that in with a single 1gb stick it's not picked up by system just the 1gb so then I tried the 2gb on its on and just one long beep

Your 2gb ram stick is most likely incompatible with your board, especially with the other stick as the ram has to be the same type and specifications. That's just one of your problems

Last edited:
Associate
Thermal and Power Specs
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)
105 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)
105 W
Minimum System Power Requirement (W)
400 W
Supplementary Power Connectors
6-pin x2 <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permabanned
OP
lol really? i read it requires 400w, not to say i was going to pass up the chance of the psu as now i got my 6670 and still better than a 250w liteon.

when i look up things i always gets mix reviews, this site i looked on that had a list said 400w and my card has a single 6 pin and reading about 105w i figured with 360w on the +12v i would be fine unless i had too much connected??

sorry about the opening i was using my phone and dealing with kids and other family things so didnt realise till i submitted that i might have made things confusing ha.

Associate
What's PSU brand ? Sadly, there are some PSU-like-products being sold instead of PSUs (which are named as "branded PSUs" here and there), so 400W doesn't equal to 400W in direct product comparison.
Which motherboard you've got ? Some G92 chips suffered PCIe Gen incompatibility issues, so sometimes VideoBIOS reflash helped. The latest motherboard BIOS is a must-have, by the way.

Permabanned
OP
corsair brand psu and nt i didnt think as such but my 210 has a 350w recommendation and i ran it perfectly fine on my 250w liteon that came with the veriton..

the board is a standard acer model for the veriton so nothing special just a 5000b that was pretty good back in its day from what i read..

so as it seems to get power to spin its fan do you reckon its a working?? device because i only wanted to test it, doesnt have hdmi nor do i want a power hungry card, i just wanted to test it then sell it..

Permabanned
OP
Well your minds can be blown again, the card works and in my acer as setup up, I did unplug hdd, optical and molex powered case fan and it fired up and it's still working once I connected all those back up but only one hdd for now, mean I don't know how long it will last but looks like you guys were wrong though thank you for your input of se was uncalled for.

It may have been a seating position issue like I kept reading but who knows, the main thing is its working and hopefully it last as I can set it up for selling and be more appealing. Just means I would have to find another psu for my 6670 and whatever mobo combo I settle on as a stop gap.

Last edited:
Associate
2009 called, they want their hardware back.

PSUs of this age could be ones with weak 12v rails and meaty 5v rails.

Hardware of this age could operate well out of spec anyway just because capacitors age etc.

Back
Top Bottom