Car been hit, advice please

Associate
Hi,

While my car was parked outside my house on the street, its been hit by one of my neighbor.

It hit the front passenger side of the wheel. It has dented the wheel arch and damaged the steering rod.

He admits full blame and wants to take the car to his friends garage for full repair. He is quite young driver and doesn't want to go through insurance. I obviously would like to keep the insurance company away ideally.

Is that a wise decision? My main concern is the garage he wants the car repaired doesn't full a good job.

Associate
Legally I believe you should.

But I would say it depends how well you know your neighbor and the agreement you can come to with them. And if you would be satisfied with the work being carried out at the garage. Perhaps one you would otherwise use would be a better bet.

Soldato
this has happened to my sister last week. you need to tell your insurance anyway, but tell them you wont be going through them as he is paying for the repairs himself.

Legally yes...

depending on how much you trust him it may be best NOT to tell your insurance company.

I told mine once when someone reversed into me on my bike, did barely any damage and nothing came of it, but they still... even 4 years late... tell me that I had a claim and my premiums will be raised if i went back to them.

Soldato
Hi,

While my car was parked outside my house on the street, its been hit by one of my neighbor.

It hit the front passenger side of the wheel. It has dented the wheel arch and damaged the steering rod.

He admits full blame and wants to take the car to his friends garage for full repair. He is quite young driver and doesn't want to go through insurance. I obviously would like to keep the insurance company away ideally.

Is that a wise decision? My main concern is the garage he wants the car repaired doesn't full a good job.

Let him pay for it at the garage of your choice.

If he says no the go through insurance.

Associate
OP
The fact he came and knocked on the door and admit fault, I don't really want to screw him over.

Its obviously cheaper for him to get the car repaired at him mates garage then me taking it to someone elses.

Think I will I see if I can find out if the garage is decent.

Soldato
I would let him sort the repair,

At the end of the day he has been honest enough to come knock on your door so I think he deserves a chance.

Its a lot more than some people would do.

Soldato
Take it to a couple of garages for quotes just to make sure he doesn't cheap out by not replacing all the bits that are damaged, i.e. give him a list of things that need doing, and if he doesn't like the cost, then go through the insurance.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I'm with the above, if his first action was to come tell you rather than just driving off then kudos to the guy :)

My little Bro currently pays ~£220 a month insurance and looks like its going up even more! :eek: If he's willing to ensure it's done to a good standard and the bodywork has warranty (I believe 12 months for insurance repairs? my mate has parts of his car resprayed after parts replaced by insurance started to rust when the rest of the car was fine). Even if it cost the dude a few hundred if he's that young then it's still a saving on what the insurance premium would go up by.

And I'm under the impression that if you did report this to your insurers but advise you were not claiming then your premium would still go up anyway.

Back
Top Bottom