Car body repair advice

Man of Honour
As some of you may or may not know I took my puma on track recently and fell off the black stuff into the tyre wall.

I've had an estimate of the work from a body repair shop which I've had some minor repairs/touchups done before, which comes in at.... £2000 + VAT :(:(:(:(:( I will scan in the quote sheet when I get home but basically it's 50/50 on parts/labour.. new front wing, door, back wing, mirror, front+back lights, paint etc.
Now obviously it's not worth spending that sort of money on my car, as I would guess in normal condition is worth £3.5-4k ish? (need to check that).

Anyway, I'm going to get another quote or two for the work to check against it, but wondered what you guys would do? Sell it in it's current state? Get it done on the cheap and sell it? Auction? :/

Gutted.

Soldato
Didn't see the thread about this, sorry to hear about it :( Just one of the things with tracking your car I guess.

Check out any Puma enthusiast forums or breakers yards... try to get your hands on a cheap door/wing/light cluster yourself. If the back panel is moulded into the rest of the car, you're pretty much screwed with that and it'll have to be pulled out/filled etc...

I'd see about how much it'll cost you to source the parts seperately. Paint won't be that expensive. Tesla had quite a large area of his car resprayed for £300. If you can get the new parts sprayed off the car and fit them yourself, then take it into the bodyshop to get the rear panel sorted, it shouldn't come to more than £1000.

edit... Just seen the damage video... £2000 for that? I'd go elsewhere!

Last edited:
Associate
I did similar, but fell into a hedge! Replaced both front wings, front bumper, front lights, bonnet, cross member, radiator, door card and wing mirror and a couple of belts.

I paid £1200 CASH for all patent parts, labour and respray. Was a bloke in a workshop at the back of a farm though, and he was an ex-bodyshop employee (from Audi).

I'd looks elsewhere tbh - perhaps source parts yourself, fit them, and then trundle down to the re-spray shop. If you have a mate with a trade account somewhere, this helps enormously too.

Man of Honour
OP
I've had my head in the yellow pages at work and have found a few local places which I'm going to take it to this week.

Soldato
Duke said:
I've had my head in the yellow pages at work and have found a few local places which I'm going to take it to this week.

no war would pics?

Track scar labels needed....

/goes off to find drexels pic

18.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to admit that when I read that you crashed, you didnt seem too bothered. I guess its hit home now. That sucks :( Get as many different quotes as possible and try to source the parts yourself from places like scrap yards etc. Hope it works out ok. Get trackday insurance next time.

Soldato
Get as many of the parts as you can second hand.

If it can be unbolted then try to source replacements from eBay, owners club forums, scrapyards or whatever. With body parts get them in the right colour to save on respray costs. If you want to minimise costs then you need to only be paying to have the non-bolted on parts of the car repaired/painted and then do everything else yourself. It will take time to find everything you need cheaply but it can be done.

If needs be just get the essential stuff done first, it doesn't really matter if you drive around with cosmetic damage until you can source the right parts at the right price.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the info. I didn't actually think about track insurance, to be fair, just didn't think of it. I heard after that it was £30 for £300 coverage, which doesn't cover much anyway :/ I just can't believe how much that quote was..

I can do better than photos - got a video (you need divx codec)

http://hi2u.myby.co.uk/trackday/oops.avi

Man of Honour
OP
panthro said:
I have to admit that when I read that you crashed, you didnt seem too bothered. I guess its hit home now.
Oh believe me I was bothered (and am still feeling like a complete tool). Just didn't see the point of over-ranting on a forum! :)

Soldato
Eff me, thats quite a "scuff". Why don't you claim on insurance and say to them 'oops, my car fell of a public road...'. I know this is fraud, but with premiums being skyhigh and also its not like its £500 and u can live and learn, its like £2400 quid. Apparently, people do this all the time?!

EDIT: BTW, the only reason why i "suggested" the above was because i really feel for the OP and its a nice car.

Man of Honour
I would go to http://www.breakeryard.com/

fill in the form, with the paint code for you car. Listing all parts wait 36 hours and go though all the quotes and see what you can get. Then it's simply getting them fitted, no paint just labour.

I was surprised how many quotes you get back. It's worth a try..

Back
Top Bottom