1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car broke down, possible cause?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by beachBOYken, Jan 12, 2020.

1. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

Hi

Car is at local garage now, but won't be looked at until tomorrow, wondering if any motor techs on here might know a possible reason.

Hyundai i30 automatic, at a junction floored it to pull away, not something I normally do.

Anyway car engine just stopped and all the car electric lights came up on cluster panel.

Got it going again, but it's now at garage to check it over.

I'm thinking by flooring it, the engine couldn't cope and just cut out?

2. ron3003

Wise Guy

Alternator belt snapped? This can light up everything on the dash, shouldn't cause engine to cut out though.

3. b00merang69

Perma Banned

Ran out of fuel! :p

4. Orionaut

Soldato

How about....

Faulty earth strap connecting engine to body shell. (Or dodgy wiring in the loom where it goes from the body to the engine)

Flooring it caused more engine movement than normal and revealed a momentary open circuit.

The main problem for the garage is they might have great difficulty getting the fault to recur and so will not really know where to start looking.

And if it is a wiring/loom problem you are likely to get a million fault codes blaming everything on the car!

5. jsmoke

Sgarrista

Fuel side issue probably.

6. sideways14a

Wise Guy

Er i would expect every car on sale to be able to take a "flooring it" no problem.
    Suspect... fuel pump or something like that, terminal coming loose on a sensor or something could also be a goer.

7. MagicBoy

Capodecina

Check the fuel filter first...

8. Orionaut

Soldato

Unless I am mistaken, the petrol i30 has an in tank filter that is part of the fuel pump assembly. It is replaceable, but a massive and messy ballache to do so!

9. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

This is a Diesel, unsure if that makes a difference, will update if the garage finds the cause, will mention about the fuel filter, cheers everyone.

10. Orionaut

Soldato

Diesel will have an accessible fuel filter in the engine bay, It is usually a relatively easy thing to replace (Unlike the petrol one) Just unscrew old one and screw in new one though sometimes depending on design they can be a bit tricky to bleed, Some cars have electric lift pumps which makes the job dead easy, some will have primer pumps on the fuel filter housing or elsewhere. Some have neither and they can be a bit of a ****** (Fill the new filter with fresh diesel before fitting it will make the job easier)

11. Rroff

Man of Honour

Most of the mechanical reasons that might happen shouldn't result in all the lights on the dash coming on - usually you'd just get the engine warning light plus maybe another one relevant to the fault.

Seen a couple of cases like that with EGR failure on our vans though they usually run rough and/or are almost cutting out at idle as well as acting funny when you floor it and only show a couple of warning lights.

12. sideways14a

Wise Guy

If the engine cuts out or stalls i would expect a light show on the dash.
    Cant see a fuel filter causing a complete stall, although they cause lots of other wonkey running issues.

13. no idea what

Sgarrista

It could be literally any of hundreds of possibilities.

14. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

Muffler bearing.

15. Malt_Vinegar

Underboss

Get the codes read, honestly, no one here will be in a position to say what's what from that description :D
    The garage is the best place for it.
    Let then get on with it :)

16. Orionaut

Soldato

VW Diesels?? ;)

17. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

could be anything. could be the intercooler or the engine itself.

flooring it shouldn't have caused it unless the engine was cold. probably an existing issue that was going to pop up but you made it appear quicker by doing so.

18. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

Engine was cold, anyway garage will be looking at it later this week. Cheers everyone.

19. acemastr

Mobster

My useful input: Don't floor an engine if it's cold.

20. no idea what

Sgarrista

Any news from the garage?

If I had to guess, I'd say fuel pressure too low/high, it's one of the few things generally that will cause a diesel to full on cut out while accelerating. Most other things will just cause you a loss of power. Flooring it from cold while isn't a great idea, wont cause that to happen.