Car broke down, possible cause?

Man of Honour
VW Diesels?? ;)

We have all kinds of vans at work - though VW and Mercedes diesels are the most used.

My useful input: Don't floor an engine if it's cold.

I'd have thought it would just go into limp mode though with the relevant alert lit up on the dashboard either until reset or the car detects a relevant reset condition rather than the dash go crazy and car stop entirely.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm, I've got 3 guesses.
  • Boost pipe popped off the inter cooler.
  • Someone weed in your fuel tank.
  • The sudden acceleration scared a small mouse hiding in the engine bay, causing it to bite through the cables coming from ECU.

Soldato
I'd have thought it would just go into limp mode though with the relevant alert lit up on the dashboard either until reset or the car detects a relevant reset condition rather than the dash go crazy and car stop entirely.

It wouldn't do anything. A cold engine will perform like a warm one pretty much. It's just not good for the engine to hammer it from cold.

Man of Honour
It wouldn't do anything. A cold engine will perform like a warm one pretty much. It's just not good for the engine to hammer it from cold.

I was meaning if the engine being cold was a factor here in why it died completely (which it shouldn't unless it was suddenly fuel starved for some reason due to being cold).

Soldato
OP
Glad to hear it's something simple. :)

Bad batch of fuel?

Not sure.

The car is a 2009 reg, the car actually didn't have a service last year, it did have an MOT but because it had only done very low mileage we skipped the service.

I think the fuel filter is something that is changed on a service, but only a major?

Soldato
Sounds about right but depends on the car’s service schedule. I know on my Ford diesels (S-Max and Mondeo) the fuel filter was meant to be done every 3 years or 36k miles and on my current car it’s meant to be every 40k I believe.

Also depends on whether or not the place servicing your car really ever bothered to do it or not.

Back
Top Bottom