Car Bump - Whats the Deal

Associate
so - another - "someone bumped into me, has said they don't want to go through insurance" thread.

I was sat stationary in traffic they ran into the back of one guy who then ran into me - felt like a decent shunt but when I got out and looked at car looked ok - but when I have got home and cleaned bumper up its cracked.

Based on the force I have a feeling guy behind me ran into me as wasn't paying attention then someone ran into them as they were not looking like they were about to stop/didn't.

But not my problem - girl at the back said she wants to just pay - so getting price to fix or replace bumper (2016 X5) in morning.

I think she will change her mind when she sees the price combined with fixing the guy in the middle

I have protected no claims etc - but if this does go through insurance it is still going to affect me isn't it? I still have to tick the "ive had an accident in last 5 years box" at next renewal?

Just seems to suck that no matter the case I am going to pay more in future :(

Will see if she agrees to not go through insurance - but I am not holding my breath.

Soldato
Get the quote to fix or replace the bumper in the morning with it taken off for a proper look underneath by a reputable garage.

Pass quote to whoever wants to pay £££. Get money same-day or claim off their insurance at the end of the day without mentioning they failed to stump up the cash :p

Man of Honour
Go through insurance :s you'll probably end up with these people messing you around otherwise - my parents had what looked like mostly cosmetic damage after a rear shunt and when the insurance company took a proper look it had impacted the structural integrity of the car and was written off.

Soldato
Don't waste your time, go through insurance. Don't be surprised if she messes you about once you've given her the quote, along the lines of too expensive, I've got a mate who works at a body shop etc

Joker that ran into to the back of my wife's car wanted to get a bumper from a scrap yard and get is sprayed up, the ass.

Caporegime
If it was a £500 10+ year old snot box then definitely accept a few quid, 2016 X5? not a chance.

Claim on her insurance and take it to your local BMW dealer (I’m sure you can insist on who does the repair) and get their approved body shop to fix it & nobody else.

My sister rather foolishly accepted £500 for a minor ding on her old (but new at the time) 1 Series and got it done locally by an independent shop, some surface rust appeared a while later elsewhere on the same side of the car but, because it had been repaired by a non approved shop BMW rejected her warranty claim and it cost her a lot more than the initial £500 to get it properly sorted.

Soldato
Multiple vehicle shunt with you at the front? Insurance claim all the way.

The person who hit you will be claiming for both front and rear end damage from the person who hit them, damage will be expensive, as you pointed out.

Soldato
As long as the condition is as good as the rest of the car, where is the problem?

That was the problem, in the space of a week the guy had gone from apologetic, pleading for us to not go through insurance and happy for us to get it repaired at the local dealer, to offhand (almost as if it was our fault he was having to pay out for repairs and that he was doing us a favour) and a 'mate' who works in a body shop was going to fix another damaged bumper, spray and fit it (turns out the 'mate' was actually a mate of a mate and he was an apprentice mechanic :/.

Told him to jog on, I'd only let this continue for a week because we went away for a week a couple of days after the bump and it was mildly amusing talking to him on the phone, he talked too much and it seems my trust in people is inversely proportional to the number of times they call you mate, bearing in mind we'd never met :D

From the last phone call it also transpired this was his third fault claim that year.......

Soldato
Based on the force I have a feeling guy behind me ran into me as wasn't paying attention then someone ran into them as they were not looking like they were about to stop/didn't.

You'd have felt two knocks if that was the case. If it was just one then the rear-most car hit the car infront which then hit you. No fault on the part of the car in the middle.

Associate
No fault on the part of the car in the middle.
Assuming they left a reasonable gap between them and the OP, changed into neutral/park and put on the handbrake when stationary... If they were just holding it on the brake then chances are the foot came off during their impact and they've effectively driven into you, especially if it's an auto. Yes, they didn't initiate the accident, but they could have limited the damage and potentially saved the OP from being hit at all by not holding it on the foot brake. pure speculation, but if the damage was visually so little then presumably she didn't hit it that hard - so you could imagine she's hit the middle car, who slipped off the brake causing the OP to be hit. could that be likely?

Soldato
Assuming they left a reasonable gap between them and the OP, changed into neutral/park and put on the handbrake when stationary... If they were just holding it on the brake then chances are the foot came off during their impact and they've effectively driven into you, especially if it's an auto. Yes, they didn't initiate the accident, but they could have limited the damage and potentially saved the OP from being hit at all by not holding it on the foot brake. pure speculation, but if the damage was visually so little then presumably she didn't hit it that hard - so you could imagine she's hit the middle car, who slipped off the brake causing the OP to be hit. could that be likely?

The root cause would've still been the person at the back.

Permabanned
Workplace know-it-all says your insurer won't entertain a claim unless you have a Police Incident Number,
i.e. you should always call the cops to attend any minor shunt.

I think he's talking through his bumhole.

Soldato
Workplace know-it-all says your insurer won't entertain a claim unless you have a Police Incident Number,
i.e. you should always call the cops to attend any minor shunt.

I think he's talking through his bumhole.

He is

A) police won't attend damage only RTCs where details have been swapped. Why would they? They'd spend their entire lives going from one bumper scrape to another.

B) police won't have an incident number for any job they haven't attended.

C) Of course an insurance company will accept a claim without an incident number.

Sounds like you need a new office know-it-all.

Back
Top Bottom