Car crisis, downgrade 40k to spend. Mustang?

OcUK Staff
Yeah sorry i probably didn't word the tittle very well, its a crisis in the sense that i dont know what to do. I have just committed to a new yard for my business that will push us to the next level however it has a fair cost implication so i can sit tight and lose 50k over 4 years or get out now and lose 20k over 4 years.. It makes some difference.

Incidentally i poped to a local car dealer today who had a face lift mustang. I was pleasantly surprised, it seems a nice place to be, i really like the looks of it also. Not sure if the facelift is much better than the previous

I am going back for a test drive later, i dont think it has mag ride. but at least want to tick the drive box for now to see if its worth pursuing over the country

@Gibbo thanks for your words, I had read back over many of your comments over your old thread. Strangely enough I have a Ford F150 which has the 10 speed auto but its 2017.

Mustang's get lots of stick over the interior, but a lot is uncalled for, the quality is OK, yes its not Audi fit and finish, but at the same time its also not a Renault fit and finish, quality is OK, but the nostalgic and heritage feel from the interior is excellent, it is a little retro but good infotainment and good sound systems. The newer MY18 if a full premium pack had some extra soft touch plastic and some additional leather and the really awesome digital dash.

Mag ride is really a must have option, otherwise you will for sure want to drop around 2-3k in suspension mods, with mag ride, you can limit that spend to £500 - 1k max, set of lowering springs if you wish (use GT350 ones) and some bracing for rear, nothing too insane.

F150 10-speed is same as Mustang 10-speed, the trucks got it first, in the Mustang its a bit more sporty in manual mode and S mode, but at same time it hunts a bit more in normal mode which some find annoying, problem with 10 gears, it tries to shuffle them too often, but overall its good, just do not change up mid-corner, full chat as its a torque converter with line pressure so it can and will unsettle the rear, particular in wet, why so many with automatics spin them, again particular in wet as the gear box shifts hard in sporty modes and the torque spins the rears up and the TC systems are very relaxed on the Mustang in anything but wet mode.

daz

daz

Soldato
Yeah sorry i probably didn't word the tittle very well, its a crisis in the sense that i dont know what to do. I have just committed to a new yard for my business that will push us to the next level however it has a fair cost implication so i can sit tight and lose 50k over 4 years or get out now and lose 20k over 4 years.. It makes some difference.

This really doesn't make much sense, how are you going to come out of the Audi with anything at this point in the finance schedule? If you need to hand back the car to avoid a big loss, don't buy another expensive car to take it's place - buy a runabout!

Soldato
OP
This really doesn't make much sense, how are you going to come out of the Audi with anything at this point in the finance schedule? If you need to hand back the car to avoid a big loss, don't buy another expensive car to take it's place - buy a runabout!

I have a fair amount of equity in the Audi from my deposit

So instead of depreciating a car 50 k over the next 4 years which is its loss give or take I will downsize as such into something that will lose 20k over 4 years max as well as saving a fair amount a month

I buy and sell for a living so in my line of work cash is king. Spending 30k on the new yard is a lot to take away from my business so I will borrow the 30k. In my eyes the r8 losing 50k and a mustang losing 20 k is balance 30k. Which is my works on my yard. I still get a bit of a toy ( mustang) and save depreciation

Associate
I doubt you are going to even lose 20k on a Mustang if not not buying new. 2016 cars are still in the 20’s and they were mid 30s new.

Go try the different specs and decide what you want. There is a bit of difference in the 17s and 18s after facelift. Also the special Shadow Editions had slightly different wheels and graphics packages to the normal cars but limited colours available.

With Mustangs you are going to have a choice between finding unmodified or modified as a lot of them get bits added but lots is worth doing but you want to go your own route.

Personally I preferred the look of pre facelift and bought a Race Red Shadow Editon GT on an 18 plate just as they were switching to the new model.

Soldato
I'm currently driving a rented mustang gt (10 speed auto v8 5l) around california and it feels great.

Done about 1000miles in it so far and really enjoy it.

I think i would want the active exhaust system, read online that it can make the exhaust quieter (would be good when taking it out a residential street).
I wouldn't want the convertible in the uk. I barely need it in California :D
The auto box seems great to me, very aggressive gear changes downhill in sport mode tho!

Dashboard etc seems pretty good to me but my current car isnt an R8 :p
.. (my current cars are bangers)

Ive got it till next monday if you have any qs!

DZDH7ge.jpg

iuzBLUT.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Have also looked at going from my M135 to a Mustang when the PCP is up. Lot of semi rural rat run roads round my way though which unless you want to queue in rush hour traffic on the main roads are a necessity. A lot of them are very narrow, and the mustang is bloody wide to say the least. I think I'd be fine with it but as the Mrs would be driving it too she'd hate it and/or scrape it somewhere.

Proper head turners for the price though.

OcUK Staff
Have also looked at going from my M135 to a Mustang when the PCP is up. Lot of semi rural rat run roads round my way though which unless you want to queue in rush hour traffic on the main roads are a necessity. A lot of them are very narrow, and the mustang is bloody wide to say the least. I think I'd be fine with it but as the Mrs would be driving it too she'd hate it and/or scrape it somewhere.

Proper head turners for the price though.

They are wide but they are not as wide as you think, similar to a 5 series, though roads can be narrow if there is one thing you generally get given space or waved on in a car like a Mustang as people just react very positively to them even if now they have become quite common sight in the UK due to how popular they are and how well the MY15-16 sold due to how cheap they were when they came out.

I'd also echo as others said, buy a used 15-16 GT for 23-25k and pocket the money for some basic mods, or try to screw someone down to around 31-33k for an MY18 GT, not the easiest task but I have heard some people managing to get used MY18's for as little as 32-33k. I can't see the GT's going much under 20k unless you really hyper mile them and reliability wise they are solid and fantastic, early 15 cars had some oil cooler leak/mixing issues, most now being fixed, other than that the issues just tend to be very basic and a few people had some issues with AC/heaters, that is about all. Reliable and simple cars, so easy to work on, easy to modify.

Soldato
OP
Well just to update this as mentioned I had to let the R8 go so thats gone now, rather sad but I am much better suited coming away from size of the finance and depreciation.

Its not urgent but I now look for a new toy circa 40k ish or below.

I am quite keen to pursue a mustang gen 3 but I am also thinking of other routes. I really like the looks of the m3 but I just not sure i want to join the stigma that follows them (my mrs called them the superdry of cars)

I would have to have Auto and magneride in a mustang but i have found the colors are really hit and miss. I also like with the mustang how big the aftermarket world is in the states, it just means i can tinker around with it for not a huge cost where as anything german is always big £ for not a lot

Soldato
Well just to update this as mentioned I had to let the R8 go so thats gone now, rather sad but I am much better suited coming away from size of the finance and depreciation.

Its not urgent but I now look for a new toy circa 40k ish or below.

I am quite keen to pursue a mustang gen 3 but I am also thinking of other routes. I really like the looks of the m3 but I just not sure i want to join the stigma that follows them (my mrs called them the superdry of cars)

I would have to have Auto and magneride in a mustang but i have found the colors are really hit and miss. I also like with the mustang how big the aftermarket world is in the states, it just means i can tinker around with it for not a huge cost where as anything german is always big £ for not a lot
You've convinced yourself.

Go get one and let us know how it is!

Man of Honour
40k Weekend car that will barely get used?

Lotus Exige S
Lotus 2 Eleven
Ariel Atom 300
Caterham R400 or 420R SV, maybe even a R500
Various TVR's
KTM X-Bow

If it's barely going to be used, why not go for something interesting?

Back
Top Bottom