car diagnostics :D

Soldato
After bieng asked to pay £35 at the dealer/indy for him literally to plug in a box of tricks to my car to find out whats wrong with the parking sensors, I was annoyed, so I invested in my own little diagnostics kit

How cool is that :D it tells me everything that's wrong with it :D
I don't have a clue what the first one is about, but the second one, it actually tells me which sensor is to blame.
Good spending of £75 imo :D

Soldato
Alternatively, you could have just listened to each of the sensors to work out which one was not working... but hey, you're loaded anyway :p

Soldato
OP
NickXX said:
Alternatively, you could have just listened to each of the sensors to work out which one was not working... but hey, you're loaded anyway :p
Yeah, the airbag light comes on every now and then, which needed to be reset so I did that too, so that's a fiver saved :D. There was a fault code for that too "passenger occupancy sensor" but I have reset it all so will see if it reoccurs in the next few days.
I can also set the auto lock when in motion which is cool, it also reads data live so you can see lots of information which means nothing to me whatsoever.

Soldato
jamoor said:
Yeah, the airbag light comes on every now and then, which needed to be reset so I did that too, so that's a fiver saved :D. There was a fault code for that too "passenger occupancy sensor" but I have reset it all so will see if it reoccurs in the next few days.
I can also set the auto lock when in motion which is cool, it also reads data live so you can see lots of information which means nothing to me whatsoever.

It'll come back on. If it's like the e46 one, it will be down to a sensor in the front passenger seat - has a tendency to break, but is a cheap fix from an Independant IIRC.

I'm getting a remap done next week, so will get all the autolock stuff done by the guy at the same time. Tell me if you find anything cool on there. I want to set the auto lock and the auto dipping passenger mirror (for when you stick it in reverse). I'm sure there was some other stuff I wanted too.

Soldato
OP
NickXX said:
It'll come back on. If it's like the e46 one, it will be down to a sensor in the front passenger seat - has a tendency to break, but is a cheap fix from an Independant IIRC.

I'm getting a remap done next week, so will get all the autolock stuff done by the guy at the same time. Tell me if you find anything cool on there. I want to set the auto lock and the auto dipping passenger mirror (for when you stick it in reverse). I'm sure there was some other stuff I wanted too.
I *think* the auto dip mirror is only on cars with elec seats.
I would do a remap, but am thinking of getting the pierburg MAF for now.

Soldato
jamoor said:
I would do a remap, but am thinking of getting the pierburg MAF for now.

I'm tempted too - let me know how you get on with it. I would get one, but not totally sure it's anything more than a placebo effect. If my current MAF fades, I will get a Pierburg replacement though.

Soldato
jamoor said:
do they have the same level of detail?

Maybe I am just amazed by it because I have little techincal experience :o

I believe they can do all the data read outs, but they can't change settings (auto-lock, etc). However this isn't too much of a problem if you have everything set up as you want it already.

There was/is a group buy going on at BMWland.

Soldato
Epic bump.

Just got myself a Carsoft/OBD Cables.

Already diagnosed one of the issues with my car (Faulty Camshaft Sensor) and have just enabled Autolocking doors.

Something which BMW wanted £25 to activate :o

So it's already paid for itself!

Some of the live data stuff is incredibely cool as well. Even though it may be useless for me.

Soldato
Where are people getting these cheapo readers from? I'm thinking of getting one for when the wife breaks her Corsa....

edit, i'm seeing usb/serial/obd2 readers for £30, is that right? Or are they just the hardware and you need to find working software? (the adverts are a bit of a blur)

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Epic bump.

Just got myself a Carsoft/OBD Cables.

Already diagnosed one of the issues with my car (Faulty Camshaft Sensor) and have just enabled Autolocking doors.

Something which BMW wanted £25 to activate :o

So it's already paid for itself!

Some of the live data stuff is incredibely cool as well. Even though it may be useless for me.

Can you tell me where you got your kit from ?

I'm interested for when stuff does go wrong I know exactly where to look and also the live readout data!

Soldato
A
I don't have a clue what the first one is about, but the second one, it actually tells me which sensor is to blame.

And this is how people waste hundreds of pounds replacing sensors that are perfectly fine. The diagnostics DO NOT report which sensor is faulty, they report which sensors are reporting values outside the expected range, a completely different thing.

Soldato
talk to my car (google it)

Sells a lot of car diagnostic equiptment, and cheaply.

Although it definately won't do anywhere near the amount of stuff that Jon.bda's bit of kit will do.

Man of Honour
And this is how people waste hundreds of pounds replacing sensors that are perfectly fine. The diagnostics DO NOT report which sensor is faulty, they report which sensors are reporting values outside the expected range, a completely different thing.

It's a parking sensor, if it was displaying values outside of its expected range, its broken.

Back
Top Bottom