Car for Parents, around 15k

Soldato
Good evening guys.

Please excuse my lack of car knowledge but just wondering what peoples recommendations would be for a new car around this budget please...around 15k

Parents are in there late 60s so dont need anything flash or all the thrills etc, one minor requirement would possibly be a reasonable size, if manageable. Not sure if there is any good 0% finance deals on atm?

Soldato
OP
Apologies. Usage is just bog standard domestic pensioner use..
My Father is around 6ft 4 quite the build, with deteriorating knees (but certainly mobile) so something maybe a little higher than your average saloon etc, but at the same time as long as it has decent sized doors to swing legs around and in that would be great.

Caporegime
Golf and focus would be my starting points.
Practical. Comfortable. Avoid the sporty models and height shouldn't be an issue for your dad's knees. Space in the back for adults if needed. Good range of engines.

Fabia also isn't a bad shout.

Soldato
In my experience (Admittedly of rather older cars) when I was having to transport my Mum who did have mobility issues. I found two door cars easier as a result of the longer doors.

(Ideally, you want an old Saab 99 with the doors that curve all the way round into the floor with no sill to step over. But I doubt if that is the sort of thing you are looking for :p )

HTH

Man of Honour
Golf and focus would be my starting points.
Practical. Comfortable. Avoid the sporty models and height shouldn't be an issue for your dad's knees. Space in the back for adults if needed. Good range of engines.

Fabia also isn't a bad shout.

I'd probably say look at the grown up Golf - Touran the newer models are decently comfortable a good height for getting in and out and the extras like parking sensors are really useful for people who might be getting past their prime. The right models are also very cheap to tax and cheap to run.

EDIT: Downside is it is a very boring car but not a problem if people just want a car to get them from A to B with minimum drama.

Soldato
yaris - these have good access/visibility/economy, for my folks

r4 article last week discussed benefits of lane-guidance and active cruise for older folks, they used a Leaf, but those are probably >£15k

Caporegime
I think you should get him an automatic if he's having knee issues. I know my knee (football injury) became inflamed and sore after lots of regular gear changes and having to use the clutch several times per drive.

Back
Top Bottom