Car for the old dear...(mini "suv")

Permabanned
My mother fancies a Ford Kuga, however they seem to be outrageously expensive considering what they are, and in her budget, all I can see are the older non facelifted versions, which look absolutely ANCIENT.

I did some browsing of other hideous japanese SUVs like Juke/Quashqui/Rav4/you name it, but then I stumbled upon the Fiat 500X.

For an older lady to potter about in, it seems alright. They have TMPS, reverse sensors, NAV, Climate control, cruise control etc, and the prices are almost half a Kuga of the same age. Also compared to what she has now, it really does seem like an SUV, higher off the ground, and quite a large car for something "small".

Has anyone any experience with the 500X? Is it cheap for a reason? Online car reviews seem positive, and if it really is decent enough value for money, I will buy her one. I refuse to pay £15k+ for a rubbish spec Kuga.

Any help/usual motors sarcasm/tearing people to shreds welcome.

Ps, in b4 someone recommends Audi S8 :)))))

Soldato
500X is okay (or its Renegade twin) but the Suzuki Vitara is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of reliability and dynamics. Better petrol engines, too. :)

Worth a gander, in either case.

Permabanned
OP
Cheers guys. If the 500X is "OK" then that would be good enough. Its a pretty car right enough, and I am almost certain the looks of the Vitara will just not appeal, even if it is a far superior car!

You know the logic when it comes to these things.

I am more surprised at the used values of the 500X, even a two year old low mileage example can be found for less than £10k, which at first seemed like there was something worrying enough for the values to plummet so fast.

Soldato
Friends had the same comparison a couple of years ago, tried a few Korean/Jap SUV and had the opportunity to try one of the Fiat "turboslugs" on an extended hire, can't remember if it was the X or L but they hated it. Went for the rubbish spec Kuga in the end.

Soldato
Brother in law has a 500X, he loves it but is a bit of a simpleton. I’ve done some miles in it though and to be fair, it’s not that bad by any means.

If she likes the Kuga, would she also like the Ecosport?

Associate
Skoda Karoq ? I got one coming shortly for the family hack , its not massive in size to be honest , but the boot is massive and you can rearrange the seats and also take them out.

Caporegime
Show her the new Jimny. Quite utilitarian but one thing I've learned about wimminz is that a car can be made of tin foil and top out at 10mph with zero creature comforts, airbags made of solid lead and it can consume 1 gallon of fuel per mile as long as it's cute.

Back
Top Bottom