Car hits crowd at GTI International

I believe the barriers do contain water however, so they aren't just hollow. They do seem quite small however.
That's true, those types of bollards are designed to be filled with water, but I have a feeling they weren't as they sometimes don't bother.

Last edited:
Actually you might be right. I've just been reading on another forum and people were commenting on them taking very little speed off the car.

That's true, those types of bollards are designed to be filled with water, but I have a feeling they weren't as they sometimes don't bother.

Calm down there with the hyperbole, read the links already posted before spinning garbage here:

From Cupra link:
They were filled with water, we got covered in it. What shaved the speed off was hitting them and running over the metal barrier causing the car to almost grind to a halt.

Sounds like a lot of people got lucky, so hope the three injured make full and speedy recoveries!

Calm down there with the hyperbole, read the links already posted before spinning garbage here:
I am perfectly calm. All I said was "I have a feeling they weren't [filled] as they sometimes don't bother."

If you had the definitive answer, then how about enlightening me without the unnecessarily offensive attitude, which ironically is what actually needs "calming down".

Last edited:
I've seen a couple of people posting that they were soaked by the water in them. But they don't look like they hold more than a few litres and they're triangular rather than solid boxes.

Also seen people saying that as the fencing was linked together it caused more injuries to people standing well away from where it happened as the sections all pulled each other.

Last edited:
Also seen people saying that as the fencing was linked together it caused more injuries to people standing well away from where it happened as the sections all pulled each other.

It might've caused more minor injuries to other people, but the fact they were linked should've helped slow the car more (I heard the car actually stopped because the barriers raised it off the ground); this could've reduced the injuries sustained by the people at the point of impact.

Weird that he didn't brake. As has been said though, novice driver and panic. He must feel awful too :(

I've seen a couple of people posting that they were soaked by the water in them. But they don't look like they hold more than a few litres and they're triangular rather than solid boxes.

They are designed to be all pulled together, it's much more effective at slowing and stopping anything hitting it that way. If they hadnt been joined together the car would have smashed straight through and hit far more people.

They posted a statement on the official site tonight.

Sadly, the Sprint at the 25th GTI International was marred when one of the cars on the track went out of control, crashing through the collision barriers and the metal fencing, and injuring three visitors to the event. At the present time, we cannot comment on the cause of the accident, as it is being investigated by Leicestershire Police.

Fortunately, the GTI International officials are prepared to deal with emergencies and, as a result of quick action by the Sprint team, our rescue vehicle, with its trained crew, the St Johns Ambulance, and our resident paramedic, were all on the scene very quickly indeed. Three visitors were injured and the paramedic called for the assistance of an air ambulance helicopter, and this arrived very quickly, taking one of the injured to hospital in Coventry. The other injured couple were taken by ambulance to Leicester Infirmary.

We believe that the emergency procedures which had been put in place, and the prompt action taken by the GTI officials, contributed to the rapid medical response to the incident. We are pleased to say that two of those injured have now been released from hospital. As yet, we do not know about the condition of the third injured person.

This is the first time, in 25 years, that any such incident has occurred at GTI International.

Lets not forget this was an accident, the show has a very good safety record.

From what I've read it wasn't the owner of the car driving it, so maybe inexperience is to blame here.

TBH I look at those barriers and think they aren't going to stop too much, so if I was close I'd be paying attention to whats going on on track - "motorsport is dangerous"

*edit* just deleted a few paragraphs that could see me as coming across as a bit of a heartless git.
So I'll leave it at I hope the injured make a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom