Car Insurance for a 78 year old

Soldato
Hello to all you fine young petrol heads out there. I'm looking for car insurance for my dad who is 78years old. So far i've tried hastings who refused to quote, tried ageUK who want £2317 and LVE who want £700 odd for a basic 2006 zafira. This is age discrimination at its finest. He has got 9+ NCB and no convictions or anything like that.

I would really really really do with some suggestions please.

Cheers fellas

Soldato
Not really. They go off statistics.

Try Confused, Moneysupermarket and Gocompare. Also if you are a member of Quidco they have there own search engine that seems to come out cheaper than any of the above + cashback offers to sweeten the deal even more.

Soldato
Lol age discrimination... or old people are proven to be in more accidents, as are young people, and therefore are a higher risk.

Associate
AA were the best a few years ago when my grandfather was still alive.
Kept driving till he was into his 90's

I did eventually get "reasonable" prices with limited milage.

When he was 85 he wanted to buy a Caterham but insurance was crazy expensive so he bought a milling machine instead :)

Soldato
I suspect quite a lot of 80+ year olds just don't bother lol

If you stack it and get found out, what they gonna do. Your just a crazy old guy living off a measley pension.

Soldato
Hello to all you fine young petrol heads out there. I'm looking for car insurance for my dad who is 78years old. So far i've tried hastings who refused to quote, tried ageUK who want £2317 and LVE who want £700 odd for a basic 2006 zafira. This is age discrimination at its finest. He has got 9+ NCB and no convictions or anything like that.

I would really really really do with some suggestions please.

Cheers fellas

If it was a young first time driver you'd not bat an eyelid at the high prices. Its all statistical unfortunately, It can feel very unfair though. Your dad may be as lively as someone in their 50's.

Soldato
I sorted insurance for my 84 year old Granny the other day. Managed to get it for £650 in the end on a 1.6 auto golf with I think 7k miles.

I still thought that was expensive. Pretty sure the company was Providence

Soldato
AA were the best a few years ago when my grandfather was still alive.
Kept driving till he was into his 90's

Hmm, mine also hung up his keys in his 90s, various things added up to not having confidence anymore. Goes on walks now.

Pretty sure he was with the AA too, passed his car to me and it has the badge on it.

Associate
Have you tried the comparison sites? I sorted mine for my grandfather who is in his mid 80's and just used the comparison sites as others are suggesting. Insurance will be more expensive as you get older though I'm afraid and his is creeping up year by year. I think we are closing in on the £500 mark now.

Ultimately though there are so many other factors it's really hard to say if that £700 quote is unreasonable. The age / worth of the car is laregely irrelevant. If he crashes that Zafira into a brand new Mercedes / BMW / Ferrari it's still going to be a large claim. It may also be worth considering that insurance is going up for everyone and t hat could simply be as cheap as it gets now.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies boys. Last year with lve it was £400. It's gone up £280 in just 1 year which I think is just crazy cheeky. I hate how insurance companies do this. They rely on the people who cba basically. LVE say£690 is the best they can do but I can bet if we left LVE and then requote as a new customer they would likely quote around the £400 mark like last year's price. Best they can do my arse. Insurance companies have zero loyality to existing customers.

Back
Top Bottom