Car Insurance for new Driver

Associate
Am looking to buy a first time car (3 door)

Have seen the Citroen Saxo VTR, is a nice car, but Insurance is like £3.8k. Me being 18 and male.
Is there a first time car or Insurance company that is good?
Like cheaper insurance companies that are not on GoCompare.com

Tried searching these forums, but didn't return any results. (Because of keywords being too common)

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a good car then?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sort of hijack, but can anyone suggest any companies who would do a keen quote for a 24yo male new driver (well, previously banned but clean now)?
My universal recommendation is sky insurance but they won't cover drivers with a licence for less than 2 years.

Soldato
Insurance group is not the be-all and end-all of quotes. There are loads of things to take into account, including the way the wind is blowing on the day you get a quote.

Try any/all cars you fancy. Before I got my previous car I ran some quotes, it was going to cost me about £850 or so to insure it (group 16 BMW, 328i) and to insure a 'lesser' car (group 13 BMW, 318iS) it was going to cost me £800. For £50 on insurance I got a much faster and more interesting car.

I'm 23 and at the time I was 21, so it's not as if I'm ancient. :p

At 18 I found it quite easy to insure some interesting cars not just the generic hatchbacks. Run some quotes for 'older person' cars, ie Mondeos, Accords etc. you might be pleasantly surprised.

Associate
Make sure to try adding Parents/Siblings/relatives as named driver. Standard advice for a reason. Adding my old man and sister (25, full-time office job) cut a good £800 off my quote. Couldn't seem to get any more after that, no matter who I added.

End of the day, being a young male driver = bend over. Should rapidly go down as you accumulate NCB and more birthdays though. (Least, I hope so...)

Soldato
Male + 18 + VTR = Lube up. You'll have to either pick a less powerful car or wait a few years or pay silly amounts.

He speaks the truth.

I got my 2002 Saxo VTR at 18, insurance wasn't cheap but meh. Admiral were the cheapest (well least expensive!) for me.
Unlike most of my friends I had a new-style registration car, with a engine over 1L, and most importantly I had an insurance policy in my name with me as the main driver on a car I owned. Most of my friends just went and did it all in their Mum's name with them as a named driver :rolleyes:.

See here for my insurance details.

Soldato
Its absolutly nothing to do with the power, they're not exactly powerful cars. Its everything to do with the fact that they're the sort of car that boy racers love, most of them have (probably undeclared) modifications so premiums are through the roof.

Buy something not traditionally boy racer and insurance will be much more palatable

Associate
Man I don't get how kids these days afford to own a car at 17/18. I'm only 24 - my insurance on a mkIV golf 1.9TDI when I was 18 with 0NCB was only £950! That was back in 05, the last year you could get a 50% discount for having pass plus until they realised that was a little generous!!

Back
Top Bottom