Car insurance question

Associate
Hi Guys,

I have a question for you petrolheads.

I am a n00b when it comes to driving and insurance, I have passed my test a month ago and am unsure on what to do with insurance.

Basically I cannot drive until I get a job :(. I have been offered a full time job (bar a CRB check and I'm a good boy with no CR) so :D

I have a wife who has driven since she was 18 and compared to me her insurance is dirt cheap. With this job I have been offered it requires me to drive so insurance would need to be on a business usage and I am adding my wife as a named driver and not the other way round as I understand that is "fronting".

Now the questions...

What happens to her no claims bonus? Does it get frozen until she gets her own insurance? Can she continue to build it as a named driver? If I crash does she lose her bonus?

Associate
OP
Her no claims isn't affected in any way as it'll be your policy. Her NCB will be valid for 2 years from the date of expiry of her last policy.

Thanks for the answer

So would you recommend her go on mine for say a year so I get my 1st year cheaper and get 1 year NCB then we get separate insurance the year after?

Soldato
Are you sticking to just the 1 car? If so maybe alternate years swap the policy holder to keep her ncd valid, if it's your wife & you live at the same address it's not fronting (at least where i worked anyway)

You are gonna have to take the 0ncd cost hit at some point unless you never have your own car & insurance.

Associate
OP
Are you sticking to just the 1 car? If so maybe alternate years swap the policy holder to keep her ncd valid, if it's your wife & you live at the same address it's not fronting (at least where i worked anyway)

You are gonna have to take the 0ncd cost hit at some point unless you never have your own car & insurance.

Yeah me and my wife are at the same address so that's not a problem, is it fronting when the policy holder lives at a different house and has you as a named driver? Or if the named driver is actually using the car the majority of the time like in my situation? I just want to do things legally and properly.

The plan was for the 1st year go on as named driver on her policy, get a year without crashing and get my own or just stay on hers as it will be cheaper anyway, oh yeah we have 1 car

Associate
OP
So in that case then the person who does the most driving needs the policy in their name. I'm thinking of comparison sites when I say that.

Associate
So in that case then the person who does the most driving needs the policy in their name. I'm thinking of comparison sites when I say that.

Essentially, yes. I don't think there is an easy way to name someone else as the main driver other than the policy holder, particularly on the comparison sites, however I'm more than happy to be proven wrong!

Soldato

No, the main driver & policy holder are two totally different things, i've seen policies where the policy holder has been excluded from driving and only the spouse or partner drives.

It isn't considered fronting usually as they view insured & spouse or insured & partner policies slightly different to anything else, but you usually have to be at the same address.

Obviously this may vary with different underwriters.

Back
Top Bottom