Car insurance- why so high in the UK!

OcUK Staff
You have got to shop around.

I insure the Ferrari with ManningUK, including EU and track cover, £850 fully comp
The other 5 cars are on a fleet policy which cost £1700 fully comp and covers me fully comp to drive any other vehicle worth upto 150k.

But without shopping around that could easily be £5000 plus a year, whereas I pay around £2500 for them all and have better cover and more flexible cover too.

Soldato
The NCB's is likely your biggest issue.

A very rough guide on what discount you'd typically see with years of NCB.

Years Discount
1 30%
2 40%
3 50%
4 60%
5 65-75%

Soldato
My car insurance came down significantly when I added my wife as a second driver. Same when my sister added her boyfriend as a second driver - she got a partial refund mid-term for adding him.

Do you know anyone who might want to drive the car from time to time who you could add to the insurance?

Permabanned
Car insurers have departments to validate address information so laughing all the way until you get your insurance invalidated.

so if the car got stolen from a different address would that make it invalid ?
or does the car have to be at the named address every night ?

Caporegime
I guess if the car is also registered to that address it won't look dodgy.

You're asked to provide your address for insurance purposes with the option to give details if the car is kept elsewhere. Giving an incorrect address, even if it's the address the car is registered at, could invalidate your policy.

exactly the registered address is irrelevant, if that were the case you would only be insured on your drive.

Clearly we both know a car is covered when off your drive. The problem comes when you've insured it based on the address of a drive 40 miles away.

Soldato
If they were looking into refusing a big enough claim, i'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to establish where you usually keep your car.

Back
Top Bottom