Car recommendation 2-2.5K

Soldato
I am looking to replacement car for a 2001 ford focus 1.6. I am thinking of getting a newer focus another 1.6. What other cars should i consider looking at, petrol as i don't do that many miles anymore?.
What age focus would £2 to 2.5K get me these days.. might stretch to £3K if needed? Also what things will I need to check for when looking at focuses?
Thanks

Don
£2k-2.5k will get you a 09 or 10 plate MK2 focus, £3k won't really buy anything much better (you'd need £4500 to get into a MK3 focus really).

Majority of examples will be the Zetec model (avoid any Studio or Style models as they are very basic), although you might find a Titanium model in budget (with Auto lights/Wipers/Sony stereo etc). The 1.6 engine is available in two different specifications, the 99bhp version and 113bhp - at this age/mileage you will ideally want proof of a cambelt change (or budget to have it done), as should be done at 100k/8 years iirc.

Don
but 2.0 will affect my insurance, road tax and resident permit for example.

Insurance difference is likely to be negligble, road tax difference is £35/year (between a 1.6 and 1.8/2.0 Focus), and assuming that's a London parking permit, looks to be about £20 as would be based on a higher CO2 g/km band rather than outright engine size.

If tax and parking permits are a significant factor for you then you would probably be better considering a smaller "class" of car to benefit from <£30 road tax, and lower parking permit costs
e.g.:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-se...o=3000&fuel-type=Petrol&annual-tax-cars=TO_30

references:
https://www.islington.gov.uk/parking/parking-permits/parking-permit-costs-table
https://www.haringey.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-travel/parking/parking-permits/permits-price-list

Soldato
OP
Smaller class car equates to smaller boot etc. I am happy with focus sized car and 1.6 sized engine. The likes of the newer 1.0T engines are outside my budget unfortunately.

Man of Honour
Tbh what's wrong with the current car? Dropping money to get a similar thing in unknown condition but newer might not really be worth it?

Also I doubt going to a 2.0 would affect insurance costs at all - run some quotes, you may be surprised at what you end up with mixing up models a little.

Depends a lot on age in my experience - post ~35 engine size seems to have little to no impact on my quotes some exceptions aside. Infact almost the reverse is true as in many cases those little cars like the VW Up seem to be deemed a higher risk for me for some reason than stuff with V6 and V8 engines.

Associate
Depends a lot on age in my experience - post ~35 engine size seems to have little to no impact on my quotes some exceptions aside. Infact almost the reverse is true as in many cases those little cars like the VW Up seem to be deemed a higher risk for me for some reason than stuff with V6 and V8 engines.
Typically driven by younger, less experienced drivers so statistically more likely to be involved in an accident

Caporegime
Typically driven by younger, less experienced drivers so statistically more likely to be involved in an accident
I take your point but it doesn’t solve my quandary which is why I can insure a 400 BHP e39 M5 for considerably less than my 235 BHP e38 7, logic would suggest an M5 buyer is more likely to want to drive fast etc etc than a 7er owner and therefore- you’d think - represent a higher risk, instead, my quotes for said M5 are consistently less (by around £150) despite as I said the power difference and value, I’m quoting my 7 at £6k the M at £12k....

They just seem to think of a number and go with it, the joys I guess of an industry providing a legal requirement without any serious regulation.

Back
Top Bottom