Car scratches, where do you stand?

Soldato
I believe the majority of people will be upset by scratches on their car whether they paid £ 3000, £ 15000 or much more. Unless you’re driving an old sub £ 1000 banger already covered in scrapes.

So where do you stand, I’m pretty much certain the majority will be of the sort who are annoyed by scratches and feel a little upset and disappointed when they acquire one.

Just got to remember you are not alone and that it’s normal to feel this way but scratches are an inevitable part of owning a vehicle and you’ve got to ask yourself would you rather have the car than not.

Man of Honour
Car scratches not too bothered unless they're down to the metal and need sorting to stop rust.
Scratches on the motorbike would probably make me shed a tear though.

Caporegime
scratches are an inevitable part of owning a vehicle and you’ve got to ask yourself would you rather have the car than not.

I’m sorry, but this is utter balls. Scratches are a result of accident, carelessness or malice, nothing else. They are certainly not “inevitable” nor are they something I’d be happy to “let slide”, regardless of car value.

Really unsure why having the car or not is even relevant.

Soldato
I'm ****** off... and REALLY cheesed if it's the result of a gritter in the winter flying past at 60mph with grit the size of bricks...

But yeah, all of my cars I'm gutted when scratched or marked... I've got a £400 car and was really cheesed when my missus scratched it... so, doesn't matter the value, when it's mint and then marked, puts me in a bad one for days!

Soldato
I've had a few new cars in my time, and to be honest, I breath a sigh of relief when I spot the first scratch. It means I can stop being ultra-mega-double-anal about every single stone boink, parking ding or minor imperfection.

Soldato
The "used" look is kinda in now anyway :D

With some classics if you start repraying them etc it devalues it. Tastes have changed and people now want originality (not loads of rust or actual damage though).

Soldato
Had a bm keyed on 3 panels one side, soon after I bought it 2 years old - just took it as a badge of honour, and never went via insurance to get it 'fixed' ,
just the hassle and, maybe, an element of how it would reflect on insurance.
as Nasher says, it's like the trend to wear jeans with that worn look.

Soldato
I am entirely too concerned about them. I'm the sort of sad act who won't go anywhere without a full risk assessment of the parking situation at our destination. Are there plenty of bays? How wide are they? Is there a good chance I can get on the end of a row? I have gone for meals at otherwise wonderful restaurants, and spent the entire evening anxious because I've been forced into parking in a sub optimal spot. On entry to any decent sized carpark (supermarket for instance) I will immediately drive to the far end and walk. I once scratched my bumper on a high kerb, and spent ages angry about it despite the damage being invisible unless you got on all fours and stuck your head under the car.

It's ridiculous, and I wish I could be more sanguine about it. Much bigger things in life to worry about.

Soldato
I can't stand them and I do everything I can (except parking over two spaces, disabled or parent and child space as I'm not a class A bell) to park my car in places where idiots don't smash their car door into mine. These include:

• Not parking next to cars like SUVs or people carriers - Brats are the worst for opening their car doors into other cars.
  • I'll find end of row spaces, particularly one where there's hatched markings at the end so I can park my wheels partially into the hatched area
  • In multi stories I'll get my car between a wall and pillar if there's a space
  • Park as far away from front of supermarket entrances as possible, where the hippopotapigs tend to park because they're lazy, too lazy in fact to take 30 seconds to straighten their car, rather choosing to park poorly and too close to the car next to them
Might seem OTT but I spent two years many moons ago as a rep that visited the likes of Tesco, Asda etc. I used to finish the last pieces of the visit survey in my car and the amount of times I would feel a thud because some inconsiderate idiot can't gently open their door to judge the space available...

Soldato
I use an already scruffy "banger" for mixing with the public.

Never park nice things anywhere which is likely to have families/mums with kids, or fat people parking tightly next to you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Couldn't care less. Its a car what's the big deal?

Saving money on not having repairs, protecting the residual value of the car, taking pride in the second most expensive thing you'll ever buy (typically for most, after a house).

If people worry enough about a £500 to £1000 phone to put a screen protector and case on it, it's not hard to imagine people going the extra little length to protect something that's multiple of thousands of pounds.

Associate
Saving money on not having repairs, protecting the residual value of the car, taking pride in the second most expensive thing you'll ever buy (typically for most, after a house).

If people worry enough about a £500 to £1000 phone to put a screen protector and case on it, it's not hard to imagine people going the extra little length to protect something that's multiple of thousands of pounds.

Judging by a lot of posts in this thread it seems to be a significant source of stress. Life is too short for that. It's just a car. Maybe if you drive something worth a million but even then that's what insurance is for?

Soldato
Judging by a lot of posts in this thread it seems to be a significant source of stress. Life is too short for that. It's just a car. Maybe if you drive something worth a million but even then that's what insurance is for?

I wouldn't say it's stressful to take that extra little time to find a safer space, plus there are times where you just have to make do and park where there's space, e.g. today when getting my 2nd jab.

Wouldn't really say insurance is the route you go down for scratches, wouldn't be worth the excess and most scratches will be caused by people who aren't exactly forthcoming with leaving their details.

Soldato
I’m sorry, but this is utter balls. Scratches are a result of accident, carelessness or malice, nothing else. They are certainly not “inevitable” nor are they something I’d be happy to “let slide”, regardless of car value.

Really unsure why having the car or not is even relevant.

There are inevitable things. What about loose stones on the surface of the road that can flick up and cause a scratch?

What about driving down country roads where overgrown hedges/bramble is sticking out - typically catching the wingmirrors.

Neither scenario would be deemed an "accident" or "carelessness". Just one of those things you have to accept comes with ownership of a car.

Man of Honour
Yeah it is pretty much inevitable at some point a stone is going to flick up and do some damage, etc. :( with my truck it gets used a bit on rougher roads, etc. so I can't be too precious about it but I'm not careless either.

Generally not happy about it but doesn't keep me awake at night - as long as it isn't due to someone being careless, etc. I'm resigned to it being somewhat a fact of life if you actually use something.

Soldato
My 3 year old car has a variety of giffer scratches and a couple of minor dents courtesy of the previous owner within the family. If I fix them, then I'll only get annoyed if I then eventually scratch it again.

I've left them, and consider it patina. ;)

Caporegime
There are inevitable things. What about loose stones on the surface of the road that can flick up and cause a scratch?

I wouldn’t consider a stone chip a scratch, and I touch those up if they are noticeable. I’ve never had an errant stone cause an actual elongated scratch.

What about driving down country roads where overgrown hedges/bramble is sticking out - typically catching the wingmirrors.

Now we are back to carelessness.

Neither scenario would be deemed an "accident" or "carelessness". Just one of those things you have to accept comes with ownership of a car.

The second one is 100% carelessness, it was avoidable if potentially also due to impatience.

Back
Top Bottom