Car Tax problem - Tax runs out and i cant tax it!

Associate
Joined
28 Jul 2003
Posts
1,548
Location
kent
Hi

I bought a car last weekend (picking it up this Saturday). The tax on the car is running out at the end of this month (this Sunday). My plan was to inform my insurance company straight away when i got home from buying the car so they could update their database and i could be insured on the car. I phoned them straight away on Saturday so i could have all the documents to tax the car in time. My insurance company told me the insurance certificate would be sent out by Royal Mail First Class delivery and i should receive it by about Wednesday at the latest.


Fast forward to today.....

Got home and opened the letter from my insurance company and realised my insurance company sent me a Temporary Cover Note for my PREVIOUS car!!!
I was soo peed off.
I rang up insurance company straight away and they said that to compensate me for screwing up they would send out the NEW insurance documents via Royal Mail Special Delivery at no cost to me. However, i missed the deadline for Royal Mail SD today (deadline is at 3:30pm, by the time i got through to someone it was 3:35pm).
My insurance documents will be sent out tomorrow and i should receive them on Friday. Just to be safe i asked them to be sent to my aunty's house because i know for a fact that she'll be in all day so can sign for the letter.

Am i right in thinking that all i need to take with me to tax my car is:
MOT
Insurance Certificate/ Cover note (IF IT EVER ARRIVES! :mad: )
New Keeper Supplement of V5 (dont have full V5 yet)

I havent got a V11 form (the form the DVLA send out to inform you how much taxing your car will cost or how to SORN it).
Will there be any problems not having this form?

Next problem....

Funnily enough the tax on my dads' car runs out at the end of this month as well so i said i would go down to the Post Office for him because i'll be going to Tax mine.
Can i tax my dads' car for him ?
I am not insured on his car so am not mentioned on any documents.

Do i need to take anything specific to tax my dad's car apart from:

MOT
Full V5
Insurance Certificate


At the moment i am very stressed out and want to kill my insurance company, they are a bunch of useless people that cant get one simple thing right!!

Thanks
 
Soldato
Joined
6 Jul 2003
Posts
2,543
If your dad has been sent a reminder for his tax be aware that the cost will probably be more than the price on the reminder as they are printed 8 weeks in advance and tax has recently gone up :(
 
Associate
OP
Joined
28 Jul 2003
Posts
1,548
Location
kent
Kamerad said:
If your dad has been sent a reminder for his tax be aware that the cost will probably be more than the price on the reminder as they are printed 8 weeks in advance and tax has recently gone up :(

Yep i am aware of this.
The V11 (tax reminder) said it will cost £170 but on the DVLA website it says it is £175 (car is pre March 2001).

Thanks Fox for the confirmation that i can tax my dad's car for him.
 
Associate
OP
Joined
28 Jul 2003
Posts
1,548
Location
kent
Thanks for everyones replies.
I'm now fairly sure that i tax my dads' car for him.

I'm getting quite concerned about the tax on my car now :(
I dont have the V11 form (DVLA reminder form) and only have the New Keeper Supplement (little green slip) part of the V5.
Havent even received my updated Insurance Certificate either (insurance **** up, read full story in opening post).

The Worst Case Scenario would be that i dont receive the insurance documents till Tuesday (Monday is a Bank Holiday). But i dont want to receive a £1000 fine from the DVLA for something that has been 100% out of my control :(
 
Associate
OP
Joined
28 Jul 2003
Posts
1,548
Location
kent
SoliD said:
since when did RM make the cut off 3.30 ive been in at like 5pm and they guarantee it for next day!

I thought this was a bit early as well and seeing as by the time i got through to someone it was already 3:35pm so it will be sent off tomorrow :(

I hate cutting deadlines and leaving stuff right till the last moment and i'm mostly concerned about receiving a fine from the DVLA for not having a taxed vehicle (all not my fault though).
 
Soldato
Joined
27 Nov 2002
Posts
3,118
You get a couple of weeks leeway at the least before the automated fine comes through for not renewing your tax mate. I forgot mine whilst I was at uni last year (hadn't driven it for a fortnight, and time bypassed me), and only got it taxed by the 9th or 10th of the next month. Never heard anything from anyone about it.
 
Man of Honour
Joined
17 Nov 2003
Posts
36,745
Location
Southampton, UK
xcessive said:
Thanks for everyones replies.
I'm now fairly sure that i tax my dads' car for him.

I'm getting quite concerned about the tax on my car now :(
I dont have the V11 form (DVLA reminder form) and only have the New Keeper Supplement (little green slip) part of the V5.
Havent even received my updated Insurance Certificate either (insurance **** up, read full story in opening post).

The Worst Case Scenario would be that i dont receive the insurance documents till Tuesday (Monday is a Bank Holiday). But i dont want to receive a £1000 fine from the DVLA for something that has been 100% out of my control :(

You don't need the V11 to tax your car if you have the new keeper supplement, the only thing you need to get hold of is your insurance certificate. Even if you have to keep it off road for the weekend until you can tax it on monday. Its really not that much of a problem unless you need your car over the weekend.

Burnsy

Edit: and just to confirm what Fox siad, yes you can tax you dads car, I know I did it last month (taxed someone else's car)
 
Associate
OP
Joined
28 Jul 2003
Posts
1,548
Location
kent
burnsy2023 said:
You don't need the V11 to tax your car if you have the new keeper supplement, the only thing you need to get hold of is your insurance certificate. Even if you have to keep it off road for the weekend until you can tax it on monday. Its really not that much of a problem unless you need your car over the weekend.

Burnsy

Edit: and just to confirm what Fox siad, yes you can tax you dads car, I know I did it last month (taxed someone else's car)

Thanks for your informative post.
I'm less worried now! :)

I just hope Royal Mail Special Delivery doesnt screw up on me now!
 
Permabanned
Joined
15 Sep 2005
Posts
652
Just to reconfirm. All you need is your insurance certificate/covernote, New Keeper Supplement, MOT and the money! :D

And don't do what I did. Forgot the New Keeper Supplement, drove all the way home to get it (20 mins from nearest Post Office) and it was in my glove box all along! DOH!
 
Soldato
Joined
25 Feb 2004
Posts
18,246
Location
Hampshire
xcessive said:
I thought this was a bit early as well and seeing as by the time i got through to someone it was already 3:35pm so it will be sent off tomorrow :(

I hate cutting deadlines and leaving stuff right till the last moment and i'm mostly concerned about receiving a fine from the DVLA for not having a taxed vehicle (all not my fault though).

probably your insurance company being lazy and not sending anyone to post it off on time!
 
Associate
Joined
1 Jul 2005
Posts
1,360
Location
London
Quantic said:
You need one of the new style MOTs. Not all garages give those out.

Can you tax it online without insurance on the car if it has one of the new MOT's?

My Peugeot is off the road and although thats ok at the moment because its on the drive, my parents might be having some work done to the drive, neccesitating the car to be parked out on the side road. Obviously i won't be insured on it, so can't get taxed the normal way.
 
Caporegime
Joined
26 Aug 2003
Posts
37,508
Location
Leafy Cheshire
richolmes72 said:
Can you tax it online without insurance on the car if it has one of the new MOT's?

My Peugeot is off the road and although thats ok at the moment because its on the drive, my parents might be having some work done to the drive, neccesitating the car to be parked out on the side road. Obviously i won't be insured on it, so can't get taxed the normal way.
If its not insured, it can't be parked on the road anyway.
 
Associate
Joined
1 Jul 2005
Posts
1,360
Location
London
paradigm said:
If its not insured, it can't be parked on the road anyway.

It would be covered via one of my parents DOC cover, as if it was taxed they would drive it every so often... (once a fortnight etc..)

But in theory, does the online system require insurance information?
 
Back
Top Bottom